Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought that if i pulled the heads off a 350 with 170,000 miles on it i would fined a ridge at the top of the cylinder wall.Am I wrong? There is hardly no ridge at all.I cleaned the top of one piston, the others i just wipe with a rag.Do these pistons look to have 170,000 miles on them?Here's acouple of pictures.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL653/3434383/10576039/392684797.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL653/3434383/10576039/392684801.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL653/3434383/10576039/392684799.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL653/3434383/10576039/392684803.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL653/3434383/10576039/392684799.jpg

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Are you sure it hasn't been rebuilt in that time? Looks as though the head gaskets are FelPro. Or was it EFI, I have seen EFI engines with 250,000 mile on them look like they left the factory last year. Most bore wear is caused by fuel washing caused by badly calibrated carburetors.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
Interesting.....Got a 98 Silverado with a 305 that has 220K on it.....Has TBI and still burns no oil.....Wonder if mine looks like that......Not going to tear it apart to find out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Question is

what are you going to do with it now that you have gone this far? checking the mains and rod bearings? replaceing the cam/ brgs? removing pistons checking rings? alot of engines dont get the routine maint. they need to look like this at 170k, someone did regular oil changes is this block new to you or or something you bought. some cylinder irregularities can only be seen with a micromiter, check the cylinder bores front to back and cross wise with a bore guage to be sure. If your going to hot-dog it nows the time to set a good foundation.:smile:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the story, isn't there always a story? This is the eng that i posted asking for help with the suffix code , it's a 69-70 350 250hp, i picked it up off a guy for $175, edlebrock perf intake corvette valve covers.The guy i got it from, bought it at an auction a hotrod shop was having, they were moving there shop. All he new about this eng was what they told him,they told him that a customer brought his 70's corvette into there shop and wanted them to remove this eng and install a new motor that he provide.The customer said the eng had 170,000 miles on it and was starting to smoke but still ran strong, and told the owner of the shop that they could keep the eng he had no use for it.So the eng came out of the car and ended up just sitting in the back of the shop for some time.The guy i bought it from bought it from the shop to rebuild at sometime to put into one of his projects but never got around to using it, it sat inside in the back of his garage for several years, now he's moving and he is getting rid of stuff.
So that is why i have torn it down to rebuild it, it was a carburated car.But it sure doesn't look like it has 170,000 miles on it.
? Why would someone tell you the eng has more miles on it than it does?
That's the story.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what are you going to do with it now that you have gone this far? checking the mains and rod bearings? replaceing the cam/ brgs? removing pistons checking rings? alot of engines dont get the routine maint. they need to look like this at 170k, someone did regular oil changes is this block new to you or or something you bought. some cylinder irregularities can only be seen with a micromiter, check the cylinder bores front to back and cross wise with a bore guage to be sure. If your going to hot-dog it nows the time to set a good foundation.:smile:
I'm pulling the big block out of the 56 and i'm going to rebuild this eng and install in to the 56.

EFI is that electronic fuel injection?

·
Premium Member
16,185 Posts
It sure looks like it had FelPro head gaskets in it from the blue residue on the gasket surfaces. This indicates it has been apart at one time but who knows what was done other than the gaskets. I guess you will find out when you tear it down the rest of the way.

-Bruce

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Using oil would leave a carbon residue on the piston tops and combustion chambers.

Even EFI engines get carbon buildup. In fact they can get a lot of it. I've seen them with big globs of it on the backside of the intake valves.

I am also in agreement with Thumper on the gasket residue. OEM head gaskets aren't blue.

My guess is that the shop owner only knew what the PO told him, and the PO may not have owned it long either, and just went by what he thought he knew.

Torn down this far, you may as well check everything, but I don't think it needs much work from the looks of the photos.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice story

looks like your the benificary of a nice little small block, some times engine storys get mixed up maybe thats the case with this one, may not have that many miles on it. when they sit in shops like that thay tend to get mixed in with all the clutter. and some times someone gets lucky. well sounds like you will be doing the right thing by takeing it down and freshening it up. in any case you didnt get hurt in the deal by any means. valve covers and intake make it a score at that price. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here's a few more pictures, questions, how to tell what make of pistons theses are? No markings on pistons except the # M-557 on the inside of the piston.

In the one photo of the #1 & #2 rod ends on the crank #1 rod, you can see it is a reddish color, rods 1,3,5,7, are this reddish color, rods 2,4,6,8 aren't?
What does this indicate?

Also #'s on the heads are 3932441 and the # on the crank is 3932442 does this mean this is the original crank to this block?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts