Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find a section dealing with this, so I thought I would start here.

A friend has a 55 BelAir 2 door sedan body, minus doors. It is on a rolling chassis, and has a little rust in the floor pans.

No drivetrain, and very little interior.

A friend of her late husband has expressed an interest, and she asked me to estimate the fair market value of the car.

I have a number in mind, but I thought I would get some other opinions. So, if you owned this car, what would your estimate of fair market value be?

VIN and trim tags are in place, and appropriate documentation to title the car will be provided.

Here is a picture.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Can't really give a dollar figure. These cars value depends greatly on the rust situation and since we can't see it in person or see pictures who is to know how much actual rot is in it. Missing 2 door sedan doors.. costly to replace. Appropriate paper work to get a title? What does that mean? and if it's easy and no problem why doesn't the "owner" do it ? Depending on what all is missing, what is rotten, what has been hacked up, it might be a parts vehicle.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,161 Posts
As was said, it is hard to give a price based on only one photo and a littile information.

Areas that are a real problem to repair are in the rear tail pan, trunk wall to wheel well housings and the lower quarters. While repair panels are available for most all these areas, the cost of them and the labor to hire it done, can be very costly. The floors may show only some rust areas in the pans, but how are the braces under them. And how are the rockers, both inner and outside. They tend to rust just below the rear edge of the door, because of a lead joint the factory installed. How are the headlight areas on the front fenders? Caps are available, but again 150+ each just for the panel.
What condition is the rear seat in, any interest in an original front seat. Is the roof solid in all areas. How much stainless is with the car, and is it usable/restorable. Glass? Is any of it usable. All of it purchased new is close to 1000.00. Suspension in usable shape? If not 3-500.00 for the front and the same for the rear. I can go on some but you can see were it is going.

I think this is a 1000.00 to 2000.00 car depending on what the new owner wants to do. And the condition of some of the afore mentioned considerations.

Alabama never titled cars in 1955 so I would guess all you need to provide is a bill of sale. Correct?

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
probably a lot more problems underneath (frame, ect.). $500-$1000 imo. :confused0006:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sitting in a field like that cannot help the rust situation much. Looks like the tires are sunk part way into the earth. Got to be more problems than that picture shows. How desparate is she to sell? That'll be key to setting the price.

With no doors and only a partial interior (if that), I agree with one other member on an estimate of $500-$1,000. I guess she could hold out for $2,000 to the right person.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm going with $500_1000. There is a lot missing, and I bet a lot of rust and work to be found. No title scares me as well. Ohio is difficult to title a vehicle if you dont already have one. Hope someone saves it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Looking at the "Old Cars Report Price Guide" , a two door sedan in the # 6 condition is worth $1200. #6 condition describes a car that is only good for a parts car or one that has been stripped of a good part of its usable parts. Next up is a level #5, which is a restorable car that is pretty much all there but need a complete restoration. A #5 shows to be worth $3600. I'd say the car in the picture is a #6.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Unfortunately, being a '55 Chevy doesn't open the flood gates to a lot of money.Although desirable, once seen in person the actual condition of the car, what ever dollar amount in a picture, could go out the window. No title can be a nightmare and a gamble for some, which can detract from a price. So....:anim_25:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, lets address the title issue first.

Car is in Alabama. Alabama does not title cars this old. However, the buyer (depending on what state they want to register the car in) would need a copy of the current registration in the owner's name, and a notorized bill of sale.

Those two documents will get a title in other states.

If the car stays in Alabama, none of that is necessary.

There is some work, and a minor cost, associated with getting the paperwork for another state, but it can be done in a day. However, if the car stays in Alabama, no need to do that.

As for the rest of the comments / questions, I guess I didn't ask the right question.

Let me try it this way.

For a 55 BelAir 2 door sedan, with good external sheetmetal, missing both sedan doors, and needing minor repair on the floors (I have seen them up close), some interior (including the front seat, which needs to be recovered), a good solid frame and chassis, and VIN and trim tags in place, what is a fair market value?

Does that make sense?

Owner is not actually actively selling the car. If the person interested wasn't a friend off her late husband, we would not be talking about a potential sale.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I still say 500 dollars

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I wouldn't want it for free, it's because cars in that condition cost more to rebuild then it will be worth when done, with that said it's worth about $800-$1000 to the right buyer. This is because the front seat may be worth $500

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Car is in Alabama. Alabama does not title cars this old. However, the buyer (depending on what state they want to register the car in) would need a copy of the current registration in the owner's name, and a notorized bill of sale.

There is some work, and a minor cost, associated with getting the paperwork for another state, but it can be done in a day. However, if the car stays in Alabama, no need to do that.

As for the rest of the comments / questions, I guess I didn't ask the right question.

Let me try it this way.

For a 55 BelAir 2 door sedan, with good external sheetmetal, missing both sedan doors, and needing minor repair on the floors (I have seen them up close), some interior (including the front seat, which needs to be recovered), a good solid frame and chassis, and VIN and trim tags in place, what is a fair market value?

Does that make sense?

Owner is not actually actively selling the car. If the person interested wasn't a friend off her late husband, we would not be talking about a potential sale.
Obviously you have a price in mind. What do you think its worth? Go ahead and tell us and we'll tell you if it is in line.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
A regular bill of sale, and current, transferable registrations, is all I needed to get my '64 from NY across the border and registered here...so what she has sounds good.

But, like said above, trying to get parts for that car will end up costing way more than if someone purchased a complete car...even if the body is worse than the one you/she has.

If I was closer, and because I don't mind it taking a few years to restore, I would offer $500 to $1200...maybe a little more if what is there is in really good shape...but sorry...not much more. :anim_25:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I say if the guy is a friend of her late husbands and she has not real plans to sell the car why doesn't she just let the guy haul it off.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Let me try it this way.

Does that make sense?

I'd say $500-$2000 w/o seeing the floors up close. $2000 would be the absolute high end if floors are solid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts