Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is guide coat primer or some type color? I would usually leave something as important as paint to the professionals. I will as soon as I get the car to where I think a pro can do an excellent job. Good enough is not an option.Thanks for all and any replies. bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i alternate colors of epoxy. i use gray but add a little black to the next coat. there is dry powder that works good. when you block the darker color remains in the low spots. i do not like the spray cans. they just gum up paper and they are a 1k product you do not want left on the surface.
pounce powder from a craft shop works well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is guide coat primer or some type color? I would usually leave something as important as paint to the professionals. I will as soon as I get the car to where I think a pro can do an excellent job. Good enough is not an option.Thanks for all and any replies. bowtie-trifive :gba:
It can be either. So long as it contrasts with the primer color sprayed to the body. Some guys use up some of their spare rattle cans to form the guide coat.

Once all the guide coat has been blocked away then tack the surface and re-prime.

·
Registered
668 Posts
3M dry guide coat works well.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It's for folks that need to "see" the highs and lows (waves) in their work. Try to do it by feel with your hand and a long board. You'll get better at it! :anim_25:

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
Even if you can feel it, most can't feel it good enough; or a spot is missed.

As you get very close to completing your sanding, it's amazing how many imperfections you can still see. What you thought was the last half hour may take all day.

Most of us need all the help we can get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.