Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '56 Chevy came with vacuum wipers which are long gone. I found an OE electric motor for my car and was wondering if I could use it in my car. Seller says it should bolt right in place. Does an electric motor use the same cable drives? Do I need to get a switch? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I included a link to the ad, if it helps:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9219312#post9219312

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
the one in the add you have listed is a 55, to mid year 56 electric wiper motor they bolt right in place where the vacuum one was you made need different length bolts, the cable from the dash is the same. hook up power from the 12 volt side of the ballast resister . every thing else is the same.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh great! Thank you guys for the quick responses it was a big help! Finally I'll be able to take the car and not worry about the weather

7,082 Posts
Yes Sir. Easy upgrade. You do not need a new switch. Please do not take as a negative, but the constant turning on and off of the switch in light rain is very irritating (yes we are spoiled by our new cars with the intermittent wipers). That can be addressed, but if Vintage Air has already been installed, it is a big deal (not impossible) to correct at this point. :bowtier:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok it just came in the mail, I just have a few questions about installing it. The only tech I can find is for installing a new replacement. So there's a ground (I'm assuming) on the bracket, and a brown wire that goes to the switch? Also how do you set up the cables and drive?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok it just came in the mail, I just have a few questions about installing it. The only tech I can find is for installing a new replacement. So there's a ground (I'm assuming) on the bracket, and a brown wire that goes to the switch? Also how do you set up the cables and drive?
Did you figure it out? I just got one from BamBam and was going to install soon. I need to find shorter bolts. Did you get any and if so from where and what size?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Did you figure it out? I just got one from BamBam and was going to install soon. I need to find shorter bolts. Did you get any and if so from where and what size?
Sears hardware should have all the bolts you need. I think they are 8 or 10-32 by 1/2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts