Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1955 Belair
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have a unused after market wire hanging under my dash. I traced it to this (upper) box.

What is it?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
16,175 Posts
In your picture you have a horn relay on the bottom and a lighting junction block on the top. The junction block is for your headlights, park lights and turn signals.

·
Registered
1955 Belair
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In your picture you have a horn relay on the bottom and a lighting junction block on the top. The junction block is for your headlights, park lights and turn signals.
Thank you. That’s interesting. The wire is plugged into the front (toward headlight) bottom portion of the junction box. My headlights seem ok. But I have been told that my right directional works intermittently. Is it possible that might be for it?

·
Premium Member
16,175 Posts
Thank you. That’s interesting. The wire is plugged into the front (toward headlight) bottom portion of the junction box. My headlights seem ok. But I have been told that my right directional works intermittently. Is it possible that might be for it?
Not sure which wire you are dealing with but the 4 circuits that go through there are; 1) turn signal, 2) park light, 3) low beam, 4) high beam. There is a color wiring diagram here on site so you can ID exactly which one you are dealing with.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have attached a 1956 wiring diagram. The blue wire is for the turn signals, violet wire parking lights, tan and green wires for high and low beam headlamps. The 1955 wiring diagram is very similar, but the one that I have does not show the turn signals.

Steve

Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
1955 Belair
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure which wire you are dealing with but the 4 circuits that go through there are; 1) turn signal, 2) park light, 3) low beam, 4) high beam. There is a color wiring diagram here on site so you can ID exactly which one you are dealing with.
Bruce thanks.

im gonna reconnect that wire. Does that block require hot lead all the time? I’d assume yes.

·
Registered
1955 Belair
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First a thousand pardons. I was referring to hot at the fuse panel, not at the junction box. Hot all the time I meant enabled without ignition on.

second tyvm for the wire diagram that will help a lot, when I get back out to car.

lastly I know it’s after market as it is not in wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
16,175 Posts
First a thousand pardons. I was referring to hot at the fuse panel, not at the junction box. Hot all the time I meant enabled without ignition on.

second tyvm for the wire diagram that will help a lot, when I get back out to car.

lastly I know it’s after market as it is not in wiring harness.
I have no idea what wire under the dash you are talking about connecting to constant 12v. If you are 100% sure you traced it to that junction block under the hood then it should not be connected to 12v power. Those 4 wires are for lights and run from the junction block back to either the headlight switch (via the dimmer switch) or to the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
1955 Belair
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no idea what wire under the dash you are talking about connecting to constant 12v. If you are 100% sure you traced it to that junction block under the hood then it should not be connected to 12v power. Those 4 wires are for lights and run from the junction block back to either the headlight switch (via the dimmer switch) or to the turn signal switch.
Bruce
I was under the dash wiring in a electric choke for a new holly carb. While under there I saw a wire hanging free and saw it went thru the firewall. I traced it to that junction block. All my lights work as they should (high, low beam and parking lights. I do have an intermittent problem with right turn signal. I haven’t gotten to work that issue yet.

My thought was wire that wire to hot lead on fuse panel to determine what it (if anything) it does.

my logic no good? I just can’t figure why that wire is there.

·
Premium Member
16,175 Posts
Bruce
I was under the dash wiring in a electric choke for a new holly carb. While under there I saw a wire hanging free and saw it went thru the firewall. I traced it to that junction block. All my lights work as they should (high, low beam and parking lights. I do have an intermittent problem with right turn signal. I haven’t gotten to work that issue yet.

My thought was wire that wire to hot lead on fuse panel to determine what it (if anything) it does.

my logic no good? I just can’t figure why that wire is there.
If all your lights are working (even intermittently) with that wire not connected to anything it isn't your turn signal problem. It is likely something a previous owner installed for who knows what. Look elsewhere for your problem, It isn't that wire. Take it out or just tape the end off.

·
Registered
1955 Belair
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks I will do as you advise.

BTW if you look or zoom in on my pic, you can see the wire coming up from under the horn relay and up into tan plug on junction block.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts