1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often get asked WHY?

Now my usual answer is this :
"If you need to ask why - you won't understand the answer"

A glib reply - cos I can not be arsed to explain - But the truth is - I love everything about my Chevys, the fact that they can still do all I ask ( nearly) in their old age, the look of the car - and a nostalgic nod to what I believe were better times.

So at the risk of making my post redundant.
What ticks the boxes for you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I think its my way of holding on to the past, because I don't like the cookie cutter cars of today. No design. very little metal. But the other reasons
include bringing a car back from the dead to be usefull again, a sense of accomplishment I guess.

68,758 Posts
they are chick magnets! :cool0010: ................to bad i'm happily married. :hammer:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
For me, it has always been "my car". I got her as a HS graduation gift, mostly as incentive to finish school. I didn't appreciate it near as much then as I do now but I do remember washing and waxing her in the front yard then standing back in awe, as Pete said, they are a sexy looking car.

·
Registered
784 Posts
For me, it has always been "my car". I got her as a HS graduation gift, mostly as incentive to finish school. I didn't appreciate it near as much then as I do now but I do remember washing and waxing her in the front yard then standing back in awe, as Pete said, they are a sexy looking car.
I agree. I got mine when it became too large for my grandmother to drive (she sat on a pillow!) and I can relate to "standing back in awe"!!!

Geoff B

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Style, plain and simple. I have an 02 Monte that I bought new, and since then I've bought an 81 and a 55, a 64 and an 83 that have since moved on, and I have another one on the way - soon! They weren't the best built cars, but they are rolling works of art.
New cars today - no imagination, no rounded corners, all 4 doors (although my 55 is a 4 door) can't tell one brand from another. Or one year from the next.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
What is your reasons for owning a 50's Chevy?
I was 12 years old and impressionable. Helping Terry, Roger, and Carl work on their Tri-5s left a life time impression on me. And I knew I wanted one. At the time, a '55 Chevy.

I've been a '57 Chevy fan ever since and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Being a person That likes new items and toys, nothing was more sought after than My 55, but that doesn't mean that in My eyes all Tri-5's are not sexy because I truly see them as such!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The CHROME and the fact that I am holding on to the past. My grandkids love it, I love it, and my wife loves it, although she would never admit to it. It is simple to work on, just got back from Somerset the other week, hear a clinking noise, rear u-joint. I change it out in no time at all. And looks, nothing in the world will ever replace them for their looks. Charles :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I worked on this 57 which belonged to my best friend when we were in high school. He was killed in Nam. I purchased the car from his widow. It was built and is driven in his honor. :happy0030::happy0030:
Best friends are forever!!
Jeffrey

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I worked on this 57 which belonged to my best friend when we were in high school. He was killed in Nam. I purchased the car from his widow. It was built and is driven in his honor. :happy0030::happy0030:
Jeffrey
I can't think of a better way to honor a fallen friend! Dave

·
Registered
587 Posts
For me, It's good ole American steel & lots of chrome that create a style all its own.
Long Live The Shoebox :blowtiedb:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well I have always been into and building muscle cars of the sixties and seventies. When I sold my 68 Firebird :( I then asked my girl friend at the time what car would you like to help me with if I were to buy another cool car? Her response a 1957 Chevy! That is what I did! Well goinging on 7+ years later we are married and have a beautiful little daughter Melina - I couldn't be happier all the way around!!! Now I am addicted to TRI-FIVES and this year we bought a 1957 Chevy Truck Project!! That is all I can fit our garage/shop and that is enough projects for years to come.

My 2 cents!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeffrey

Jeff, Good on you mate.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For me who wasn't around when these cars were built (I'm 37), there's just something about them that attracts me. Something about the fact that the people who put them together are probably not with us anymore. Something about the design. Something about they way they drive. Something about how they turn heads now. It's just something irresistable.

It's not just the 50's chevy's, it's all older cars. But the trifives are definately my favorites. Hands down.

But the best thing I always like to say is "Who would have thought the family car of the 50's would become a badass hotrod 50-some years later?!!!"

No way the cars of today will be like that in 50 years!

·
Registered
56 150 two door w/210 trim, 350 CID, TH 350
657 Posts
Twenty six years ago one month before my first daughter was born I bought a 69 Chevelle to build. REALLY POOR TIMING. I never finished the car, and eventually sold it to a friend. Jump ahead to 2005 and during the time I was looking for another Chevelle to replace the first one, I lost one of my dearest friends to a heart attack. He lived in CA and unbeknown to me he had bought a beat up daily driver 56 and put it away in a garage awaiting time, which as it turned out he didn't have. During the ceremony I learned he had this car, a deal was struck with his widow and I was able to fulfill my and hopefully his dream with this build.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
For me it just takes me back to some of the best times in my life. It's a reminder of graduation and prom back in 1962. Brother had a 55 Bel Air hardtop and always let me use it when i wanted. Have had many classics over the years but 55 Chevy has always been the favorite. The convertible I currently have was bought in 2000, sold in 2006 and bought back in 2010. My wife never let me forget how much she loved the car. Was lucky to find it for sale again in August! Now that the bride is happy, it makes life a whole lot better. Ron

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
To be honest it's a money and parts availability situation.I'll explain. If I could afford a nice 55 or 56 Cadillac,that's the direction I would be going right now but the 55 and 6 chevies are a pretty good placebo.My problem is that I like all old cars and want to own them all .

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I was a little kid back in the 70s I loved to put together model cars and the 55 always stood out to me as being such a cool car, then when I was 18 in 1986 I bought my first 55. I thought I was so cool with my old car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts