Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I logged in this morning and there was a message at the top of the page telling me I have not posted in a while and that I might want to post. So, here goes a post for ya...lol...and this is in the project area as that is all I have been doing is project cars.............but for other people.
I finished the sheet metal work on a 76 280Z and had been waiting on the front doghouse from the owner to finish it. I finally pick the doghouse up Monday. Next, I've finished all the sheetmetal replacement for the 72' Nova except the rear quarter which I am working on now. I'm also working on a 65' (I think) Mustange - installing new floors, torque boxes and maybe shock towers (if I can bring myself to cut them out) plus toeboards. In between all that I finished out a 66 Chevy truck that I wish I had more time to do but the owner wanted it done in a week. I put it in 2K primer for him and slicked the bed. Did not turn out the way I wanted but he was fine with it.
Note: If you find some backyard restoration guy like me and trust him, DO NOT rush him. He will not be able to do the job the way it needs to be done and you will be upset that it isn't right when you caused it...just a heads up.

Moving on, I was able to drive my car......ok it was just in and out of the garage but it squeels tires in the garage:party0031:. Still have a running issue but once I get some wheels for it I might get fired back up to finish it...after I get everone elses cars done.

Now, the rest of the list goes like this - the Nova should be done this weekend as well as the Mustange. Then the 55 Ford gets moved in for some heavy metal work (by the way I did say Ford and don't care, it is a really nice car that sounds like a true hotrod from the 50's with its dual straight side pipes) that the PO fixed with bondo and expanda-foam (don't get me started on that crap). After the Ford or should I say with the Ford, I will be working on a 57 Sedan that the 66 PU owner brought for me to do. After I get his Sedan done he is bringing me a rusted out hardtop to build. The deal is that I build the hardtop and he gives me a 68 Chevy PU with a 327 SBC for the work. I've been looking for a truck for my son so it worked out......Oh, I forgot the 280Z, I need to put it back together this week and get it out of here. Oh, I also forgot about the other 68 PU that the Nova guy is bringing me. Plus several other cars on their way to me.
So, that's were I have been. Every moment I have is in the garage...lol. Not a bad thing. I do wish I had one of those self vacuuming robots. The crap that gets stuck in the frames and all the holes here and there....geeze. It's every where.
This is a learning experience. I really enjoy working on cars, wish I could do it for a living but I am not a professional, still learning.
If I don't check in often you guys know where I am......later.
Josh

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Working on cars.

Good to see another post from you Josh. It sounds to me like you could make a fine living working on cars. You appear to have more work than many of the shops around here! Keep us updated! :wavey: JIM.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed that Robert and will double check. I'm guessing that is what caused the toeboard rot on that side. I do have one more area to fix were one of the pulleys bolt to the firewall. The toeboard did not repair the area plus it has the nuts welded on the sheetmetal. I have found that the only way to get the torque boxes in without lifting the body is to cut the lip off the box and slide it up in the then reweld the lip back on. Very interesting design from Ford. And as usual, the panels did not fit correctly but that is part of it. Thanks for pointing that out Robert.
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to see another post from you Josh. It sounds to me like you could make a fine living working on cars. You appear to have more work than many of the shops around here! Keep us updated! :wavey: JIM.
That's because I do it dirt cheap...lol. Most shops get 4 times what I charge. I'm going to have to adjust my prices. :sign0020: I need to get some pics of all these cars. I'll do that.
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So where does the wifes Camaro fit into the schedule Josh? Oh, that's what she's been asking. I won't mention it again.
SSShhhhhhhh TJ, I hid the Camaro in the weeds, she might of forgot about it:sign0020:
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've worked on cars as long as I can remember. I don't think I will ever get burned out. I do get burned out with people wanting them done yesterday and then wondering why it looks rushed.......duhhhh. I enjoy it when people say that they are not in any rush. Makes it easier to do the job right. I also don't mind the extra toy money. It will help finish my car and the wifes car and sometimes I get the kids out helping me which is always fun. I've asked the wife if I could quit my real job and open a shop and got a big "NO"...lol. Oh,well.
Josh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Really good to hear from you again.

Hey brother, its great to see you posting again and im glad to here youve got no shortage of work. Later bud.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I enjoy it when people say that they are not in any rush. Makes it easier to do the job right.
I hate those people in my business. They are the ones that end up calling every couple of days to see if theirs is done.:eek:
Terry

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of the ones I have been working for let me take my time, though i have more than I can do right now. It seems like I have fallen behind or maybe I was never ahead. I'm having to pull late nights to get a 57 done by this weekend. I've got 4 sitting there and 2 more on the way. I need a bigger place to work...lol.
So far I've only done work for guys who understand I do this one the side but will work my hind end off trying to get their car done. We'll see how that holds out.....
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the guy's 57 Sedan went home last night but not before he dropped of a 57 Belair hardtop. It's getting 2 new full quarters, a couple of floor pans, toeboards, trunk repair, all new braces, new half door skins, window channel repair and some other small metal patches. Should be a new car when it goes home. This is the one I am doing for the 68 Chevy Pickup as trade. I'm also repairing 4 Chevelle doors but first the 55 Ford is in the garage ready to be finished. Then the 94 S-10 is going to be finished, I got it back running but it is running rough. The fire did burn up all the hoses so i'm replacing those which might help. After that the 72 Nova's, that came back, parts should be in and I can finish that one up. Also will be installing a 4.3 in a Jeep Commanche for the S-10 owner. Then the Nova's owner should have his 68 truck down by then.....Bought stock in 5 hour energy drinks....lol. At least I'm saving some part of history. These cars would probably rust away if I didn't restore them so cheap.
Josh

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Josh life is short. I worked 2 or 3 jobs from the time i was 19 until i was 33, then i was self-employed and worked 10-13 hr days instead. Don`t kill yourself. I don`t want to work like that any more, just don`t seem to have the energy these days. :D
Terry

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right now is a tough time to stay afloat. I have to take care of my family. Just never seems to be enough. This started as a way to advance my other projects, now it seems to pay for all the extra expenses that keep popping up. Kids are becoming teenagers, house remodelling, cars - always something.
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This weekend I took a little time off, had my family and my wifes family over for some grillin'. I did install a quarter in the 55 Ford and repaired some of the trunk. I also got the driver side studs cut on my 57 and reinstalled the Boss rim. Got to do the passenger side. Got my new tire in from Cali so that is being put on today, they better not scratch my wheel. Got to get my car ready for Somernites Cruise, not a show car but I like it.
Josh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts