Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to extend my tie rod just like the lower one in this pic but don't know where they found this extender or what they're called. It looks kind of like a plumber's fitting doesn't it? Anyone know?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Is it a coupling nut on a stud? Try McMaster Carr online, they have all the unusual stuff.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Make sure it is a good grade material. That is a critical component. Grade 8 or forged.

Don

·
Registered
37,298 Posts
To know what's there, you need that fitting removed from each assembly.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? What's strange to me is not the extended version at the bottom, but the one at the top.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Looks like a dangerous recipe to me Jeff. Looks like one is welded on extension and the other is a screw on.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh the other tie rod has a nut welded to it! I wouldn't trust the steering to a welded nut.

My problem is my tie rods don't have enough length so toe out is bad on both wheels. I like the Moog website. I'm going to check that out and call them.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
...... What's strange to me is not the extended version at the bottom, but the one at the top.
mmmmmmmmm X 2!! I would not trust my life and the lives of others to the top version.

Even if the extension fitting in the top version screws into the tie-rod end and the weld is only to keep the threads from backing out...... The female end of the fitting doesn't appear to have much depth for thread engagement.

Best regards,

Harry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts