Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at nice trifive the other day. Ran hands beneath doors and sills and felt what I thought was rust. Layed my fat ole self under them and was just not up to snuff with rest of car. Not rust but two ?drain holes/slots under passenger door and just rough work under drivers. One sill looked pretty good but the other was some kind of glass filler that just was done poorly.

What is that stuff? Definitely not just bondo. Obviously I don't know a lot about paint and body work. There were some hand made fiberglass parts on the car which were fantastic and it's the same stuff except used for repair instead of parts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is a couple of types. One is the angel hair or kitty hair that is chopped up fiberglass mat to form short hair looking fibers to fill small holes. That is used with fiberglass resin. Also you have fiberglass cloth which looks like a course wooven fabric. That is used with fiberglass resin and is laid in a mold to make fiberglass parts like for the Corvette.

The fiberglass mat can be used to make thicker parts or plug holes. Done properly these are great things, but it takes time to properly layer the stuff and work out the air bubbles.

You can also purchase a product like bondo the has fiberglass in it from any parts house. It comes in a regular or short fiber version depending on what you are repairing. It mixes just like bondo and is applied the same way.

There is no replacement for new metal, but this stuff works pretty good for a few years as a repair. You have to watch out for stuff like that in this hobby as someone may be trying to hide some rust or damage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. It sounds as if that is a reasonable approach esp to areas that are prone to rerust even after a good repair. I've had sills and caps done and a few years later have to do it again.

They also did a good repair of redoing the door drains with the repair. My only complaint would be there were areas that must have been the bubbles you were talking about. Other than that it looked nice just not factory.

Personally I wouldn't mind having glass sills and door bottoms in a driver.

Does anyone know if there is any reaction or interaction with the surrounding metal that would cause oxidation or excessive porosity of the metal from using those products? I think the glass would be inert but I don't know about the chemicals in the resins, epoxies and such.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Generally the rust has started eating and these patches are a cheap cover up. In a couple of years they will rust out beside or around the patch. You would be much better off with fresh metal in there. Been there, done that!!
Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally the rust has started eating and these patches are a cheap cover up. In a couple of years they will rust out beside or around the patch. You would be much better off with fresh metal in there. Been there, done that!!
Dave
Yeah, unless you DIY or watch the entire process then beware. I have had some Corvettes and got out of boats so glass doesn't bother me. But for anything quality you're right. And that has to be done right or it'll rerust again, too. This job was more than 5 years old so I guess at least this one was done right.

Good advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts