Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was walking in my front yard almost stepped on this snake then my Lab saw it and attacked it.

I don't know if it is poison or not, but that is why I love my dogs so much because they will risk their life to protect you.

Here is my Hero Dog Dixie

Snake Killer

Her Name is Dixie We rescued her from the pound she is a Female 5 year old Black Lab.

She will attack Biscuits, treats and her food.

She will go right up to Burglars and make them pet her before they enter your property.

The only person scarred of her is the ups man.

She is on guard duty 24 hours a day unless she is sleeping under a shade tree.

Grasshoppers, Frogs, and Gophers, and Biscuits Fear Her.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think it is closer to the cottonmouth, or some other kind.

Dixie is a Brave Dog, that Snake kept striking at her and she did not back down.

Otis

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agree with Tom as well. Best snake around the house is a dead one. A sure way to tell if a snake is poisonous (I recommend you only use this method to identify it after you have killed it) is all poisonious snakes in the United States (with the lone exception of the coral Snake) have eyes with a cat-like pupil. All non-poisonious ones have round pupils(even if they are so large that they just look like solid black eyes).

Steve

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's an update on Dixie the snake Killer.

She had a cancer Tumor the size of an orange in her left lung, She had surgery and it was a long complicated surgery, but the tumor is now gone and she lost half her left lung, but other than that she is on the road to recovery.

Well her surgery means that a lot of parts will have to wait for the 57 , But like I told the vet, do whatever it takes to make her well, because how can you put a price on a friends life.

Otis :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
No idea on the snake but looks like Dixie just earned a bit of that Vet bill! As I type this,the newest member of the family.....Jake....is curled up on my feet under my desk! It is extremely cold out and snowing like crazy but my feet are cozy :D He is now a little over 4 months old,a real pain in the arse most of the time but I have grown quite attached to the little devil.....If I can just survive the "puppy stage"!I have always had German Shorthair or German Wirehaired Pointers since I was a kid and ran the field trial circuit for many years....My dogs were always very well bred...read expensive.Jake is a mutt who was on his last day at the shelter........He has 10 times the personality and brains of any dog we've owned.Not sure if we're getting him trained or he's training us but either way,it seems to be working out well.I'd take a picture and post it if he'd hold still long enough :eek:

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now Jake is my kinda dog, all my dogs have come from the shelter, and they know that you saved them.

Thanks for the kinds words

otis

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,521 Posts
Glad to hear Dixie is recovering! I don't have dogs (mainly because I don't have the space for them to run and be dogs) but I have two of the laziest cats that ever drew a breath. I would not know what I would do without them though. I inherited them when I met my wife, but they feel like kids. Actually, they are about as expensive as kids now that I think about it. I hope you and Dixie have many more years together!
Eldon

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Good to hear that Dixie will be OK, my Lab died this past summer, he was 14 years old.... as far as the snake goes the head shape will usually tell you if it is poisonous or not, non poison snake head is usually more oval shape and narrow at the neck, poison snakes head is shaped triangular like an arrowhead and wider than the body at the neck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happy for you and Dixie. I know the special friendship...my dog is also named Dixie and she has yet to disagree with any of my ideas for "our" 55.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Otis - Glad to hear Dixie is on the road to recovery, I know how trying on you and her that has been. BTW, any snake is poisonous unless you know what it is or know it by name including dead ones.

For several decades I have raised wolf hyrids but since we had a smooth haired fox terrier when I was a kid I always try to keep similar terriers as well even the mixed breeds as their all good. My boy gave his wife (now ex-) a female Jack Russel for Christmas of '00, two months later he called me to see if I knew anyone that wanted the dog. I told him sure and that I would take her, then asked why he was getting rid of her as he paid a pretty sum for her. His ex- is a cat person and when he went to work the dog went into a crate until he got home, and when it was out even as a puppy it was kicking the various cat's collective butts. Sounded just like my kind of dog.

Fast forward to early '04 and we lose two dogs in the same month, one to old age and one was a puppymill dog that quickly became sickly and had to be put down. That left us only with the little female J.R. and I always want two dogs so they can keep each other company as we are often gone, so the wife contacts a J.R. rescue group to see what they have available, They had a little male J.R. that they had gotten the day he was supposed to be put down so I told them I'd take him and would be down that weekend as they were having an adoption fair. Got down there finally and was shown the dog and was getting to know him when a guy with his family walked up and said he thought he would take that dog. :mad: I told him to keep walking as I had already claimed the dog and after driving four hours one way for it he'd better get help if he thought he was taking my dog. About then one of the rescue ladies walked up with a leash and I put the male on it, he is one of the best behaved dogs on a leash I've ever seen because he didn't care about all the other dogs/cats around there at all and just walked perfect on a leash. He is my little buddy and the joy of my life.

Fast forward a year or so and the two dogs are out in the yard as I'm clearing limbs cut from a couple trees I'd dropped the day before and loading them into my flatbed for disposal. All of a sudden I see the two little dogs going after a big snake under the truck and as it headed out the front I removed it's head. Just as black as the other snakes that were pictured here but after I turned it over I could see the faint coral snake markings on it's dark belly, never seen one that dark before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts