Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my chevelle which I took down to bare metal and installed some patch panels. I used a reinforced filler for the repaired metal and then used a lightweight filler to straighten things out. I left it in bare metal for a while and it started to get a few spots of rust.
So I cleaned it back up and epoxy primed everything inside and out. Now, I am not completely done with the body work and still have to straghten out the 1/4 panels.
My question is since it is now in epoxy primer how should I continue with the body work? Do I have to sand it back down to the metal and filler or do I scuff the epoxy and put filler on top of the primer. All the fillers I have found say to only use them on bare metal. Not sure where to go from here.
I am using autobodymaster products.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Scuff the primer and apply filler over it. Some think this is the best way to apply filler, over epoxy. I tend to agree. What filler are you using?

Don

·
Registered
594 Posts
It's best to shoot epoxy over bare metal and then apply filler over that. So in your case you might consider removing your existing filler then shooting epoxy and then re apply filler. Filler over metal can absorb moisture and create rust down the road.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
filler over epoxy is preferred but you will be ok. cant say much about the product your using but it is not top shelf .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for the help. I am able to just sand it down and do my body work on top of the epoxy. It actually sands pretty easy.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
filler over epoxy is preferred but you will be ok. cant say much about the product your using but it is not top shelf .
Hey Porchdog, just trying to learn a little something and not steal the thread, so what brand of filler would be good to use?? Thanx, Carmine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive used evercoat also but thought I would try this other brand to see how it works. The autobody master epoxy primer sanded like any other primer would so I am not sure if it should or not since I have never used any epoxy primers before. I have just heard of other epoxy primers being hard to sand. Thanks for the feed back guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts