Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks again for the information folks supplied last week on what to do first to get my 57 going. Spent today, draining the oil, changing the filter, cleaning out the oil air breather, dropped the gas tank and flushed it out, cleaned out the fuel line and added a see-thru, in-line fuel filter (for good measure), put new spark plugs in, added a new battery. Last week I pulled the old spark plugs and added a small squirt of diesel/oil mixture. I cranked the motor a few times with the spark plugs out today to give the oil and gas a chance to circulate a bit before trying to fire up the motor. I replaced the spark plugs, sprayed a bit of starter fluid into the carberator and tried to start the car with no luck. It turned over but would not catch. I checked the fuel filter and it was about half full of gas. The carberator looks like new so I did not do a kit to clean it up. Any ideas on what to do next? Oh, and the brakes seemed fine, oddly enough. Though I'll tread carefully when I do get the car going to make sure. I have a long looping drive way that will work for my first test drive. Thanks again for all your help. Look forward to posting new photos when I have it all up and going.

Steve

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'm not the one to give sage advice on how to get the car running, but I did have a similar problem. After spraying carb cleaner directly into the carb, it started up. The problem was probably my carb -- after a rebuild, it starts much better!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have to agree with Terry, If starter fluid didn'y do it I'd go after the points. Clean tem with either a point file or real fine sand paper say 1500 wet or dry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Like the others said check for spark, cars that have set for a long time sometimes build up some rust on the cam lobe on the distributor ,when you try to start the car the rust on the cam acts just like sand paper and close's the gap on the points by wearing out the rubbing block on the points. I don't know what it is but I've had some vehicles that wouldn't start on starting fliud. Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, will look at those things next. Will let you know how it turns out. As always appreciate the help.

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just went thru the same thing. Replaced gas tank. sending unit, fuel lines, fuel pump, filter, carb rebuild, cap and rotor. Engine wouldn't start, changed points, condenser and plugs, started right up.

I would change the points and condenser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts