Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
[
[/QUOTE]
The other end of it is that a number of years ago, a lot of owners who had retired with a good bit of avaiable cash built the car they wished they could have built when they were kids. Best of everything. They have a good bit of money in them. As they have gotten older or even departed, a lot of these cars are coming on the market with the owners thinking they have a gold bar they can sell. I have seen a couple of them, middle to late 90s builds, early 2000 builds, dated in some ways (autosound cassette radio for instance, lol). Nice, really nice, but dated. And they are just not bringing the money those owers are asking.

I think Robert Haas has it right.
I see this with familys that inherit this stuff when they go to sell all the time.

·
Registered
37,616 Posts
The exception to this would be the shop that builds vintage/classics or whatever for pre- determined profit
That is rarely a viable business model except in reality TV. A shop has to compete with the market place. A much better business model is to sell the labor and materials for upgrades.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
First question , do you already have a car and what model ? I am wondering if the question on roi for upgrades is to determine if you are thinking of making these upgrades? Then adding what you initially paid for the car to determine value after the changes. 20-25k spent on parts will get you quite a few decent upgrades. If a large amount of it is for outsourced labor then the return is low . If this is the case of planning for a market value it will be tough to get an accurate value. So many variables to consider in pleasing the market . I do know that a quality built tri five will sell . The mid 30s market for a good car has now scaled into the 40s brackets and up . Of course all depending on the theme. Resto mods with high dollar builds will sell but for how much of a loss??.....I think the best bang for the buck is a 4 door wagon already upgraded with ac, discs, ps, and overdrive coming in around 28-32k...... and hooray its done , pack the cooler and load up some buds or family and enjoy life . Skip paint jail and the high cost of shipping parts and hours of work. However garage time is therapy and is part of the best experience of owning a tri five. Plan your work and work your plan!

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,013 Posts
Exactly! Which is why it's always much less expensive to BUY a finished car if you find one you like, rather than 'building it yourself'...

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Normally you don't make a profit, most high end cars built sell less than what's put into them.
Quite true if you can't do most of the work. It's extremely expensive to build any hotrod if you have to pay others for doing the upgrades. But if you can do most of the work yourself, you could actually make money when you decide to sell it.
You may only make $1 an hour for your time though! :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quite true if you can't do most of the work. It's extremely expensive to build any hotrod if you have to pay others for doing the upgrades. But if you can do most of the work yourself, you could actually make money when you decide to sell it.
You may only make $1 an hour for your time though! :)
Without doubt I will take a loss. 9 years so far working on it. I'm working on it a few hours a day. That's all I can handle with my old body and mind.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts