Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, IM working my way towards back of the car that I am doing ('55 Ponitac Chieftain), and yes, I know that it's not a Tri Five :wavey:, but was thinking it was probaly the same rear end in both cars.
HOWEVER, since teh front suspension (as I found out a few weeks ago) is different, I could be wrong in my assumption.

So, what rear end is in my '55 Pontiac Chieftain (if it matters, it is a 287 V8 2 barrel/3 on teh tree manual, combo, it closely resembles the Ford 9")

I am doing a frame off custom, and since I have had zero luck finding a tech forum for teh Pontiac, and since the Tri Five's DO share some similiarities, along with how informative THIS site is, is why I am here.

THAT being said, do you think the moderators or members would get mad if I posted up some pics of progess in that section on this site????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not a modulator, And I for one would like to see some pics.:anim_25:

Well, I guess they can only give me a warning and kick my pics off right? I mean, Im not trying to do anything malicious by any means of teh imagination. So, give me a few and I will let ya know when they are up...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Chevy and Pontiac didn't use the same rear end. The Pontiac used a larger, stronger rear end. I think there are still parts available for it, but limited.

Hmm, well that is I guess a good thing (if I can find parts for it, then it DEFINITELY becomes a GOOD thing), but was hoping for a more common Chevy rear end since I know finding parts for ANYTHING Chevy related is alot easier.

I know it sure is "beefy" looking. I come over from the "race car" crowd, and Ive done my fair share of Dana 60's, Ford 9", 12 Bolt's and along with the underestimated, but very strong Ford 8.8"...but have not seen/played with the rear end that is in my Chieftain.

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
"Before the 9 inch Ford became the standard drag race rear end the Pontiac/Olds rear end was the rear end to use. There are a lot of old drag race parts floating around out there for those rear end."

Thing is, that's a 57-64 Pontiac/Olds rear axle, not a 55-56. The 55-56 Pontiac axle shares nothing with it. You aren't going to find any performance parts for a 55-56 Pontiac axle, and even finding service parts will be frustrating at best.

The 57-64 Pontiac/Olds is pretty much a scaled up 55-64 Chevy axle. There was a Dana posi unit for it even. At one time there were a lot of aftermarket parts for them, but parts of any kind are rather scarce now.

One other thing. A complete 57 Pontiac axle assembly will bolt right to the springs on a 55-57 Chevy. So a 55-57 Chevy axle assembly possibly will bolt right to the 55 Pontiac springs.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
I think you'll find that the 'strong' Pontiac rear came out in '57.
Yep, 57-64 are the good ones. The 55 Pontiac rear is stronger than the 55-57 Chevy but might be hard to get parts for. The 57-64 rears are much easier to get parts for and will take some serious abuse. :burnout: :vroam:

-Bruce

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, well that would be my luck though...you know the saying..."If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldnt have any at all"..well, that's me.

Well, the GOOD news is, I am not sure thier is anything wrong with it to begin with. I hauled the car on a tow dolly for @ 15 miles, @ 60 mph, and everything seemed to be fine, no noise best i could tell, and it pushes/wheels @ NO problem with me just pushing the car.

Now, teh diff maybe worn out, I don't know. Either way, what I am gonna do is open her up, check her out, and if all seems good to go, gonna keep with her for awhile...

And now that I have taken on teh prject of building my own frame, along with a triangulated 4 bar, mounts won't be a problem since they would need to be changed out anyways, obviously.

well guys, that is why I hang around this site...the info you guys have on these cars is exactly what I need, so THANKS!:wavey:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts