Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to get some in put from some of you guy's on what you have done for a road worthy dependable rear end set up that would be a basicaly straight forward application for my 56 build. It is a 383 stroker 400 turbo trans set up, with a 2500 stall pushing around 435 hp. I will be running 15" X 8" rear wheel. Tires 255 70 15 on rear. Some tri- fives in my area are running S/10 rear ends, they tell me that 4x4 S/10 is a better fit. Does any one have any first hand in put on this from personal experience ? I dont wont to do any cutting on my frame or mini tub, just looking for clearance for a slightly wider than stock look without my rear wheels setting in further than the front in apperance.Also i have a 56 rear end and haven't rulled out building it and would like ideas on options for that as well. Looking for a good road gear for the 400 turbo, maybe 3:08 or so.

Thank's
Green 56

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
No first hand experience on the S-10 but a guy here has one in his '55 BelAir and he told me it was from a 4x4 and was a virtual bolt in changeover.
I have a '69 Camaro 12 bolt in my '55, no frame cutting involved just relocating of perches and such on the rearend.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's for the response G.R., i would love to have a 12 bolt instead of the S/10 set up but they are getting hard to come by around here in Chattanooga. I was wondering how much if any more narrow is the S/10 rear compared to the stock 56 rear ?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
S 10 rear

Hi guy,s. I had posted this up just a short while ago, but am happy to do it again. The S 10 4x4 rear with the disc brake option is precisely 59.0 inches wide, mounting face to face. That would make it just about 1 inch narrower than the stock width.
In a stock application this is a nice width that will allow a little wider tire without rolling the inner fenders etc. This is especially a nice fit for the 55,s smaller wheel well opening. One nice outcome from using the S 10 disc brake rear is that they are all limited slip 3:42 ratio, and if you have installed a spring pocket kit, you will find that the stock S 10 spring pads are in just about perfect alingment with the springs (+or- 1/4 inch). One small drawback is that they have metric studs so you will either have to swap out the studs or run metric lug nuts. Not a huge inconvenience either way.:bowtieb:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Surestart, that is very helpful info. Appreciate it much ! Hopefully it will be of use to others as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in the same process, I think I am going to try the 8.8 F out of an explorer I have been researching a lot of info and for the cost saving to what you get in the end it may be the best bang for the buck and not to difficult to achieve.

I will update the site when I get into this phase of the build to give out any info or experience I can offer. What you end up with in this type of application is a rear that is 59.5" wide posi with 3.73's 31 spline axels and rear disc's right from the bone yard. There is some work to this but very (do-able) this will be my winter thru spring project :character0029:

But it looks like your in good hand with the guys here if the S10 is more like a bolt in and you get the disc's as well great info......

·
Registered
261 Posts
G.R.: When you mounted new spring perchs how did you figure out what angle to put them at reference the yoke? :confused0006:I am having to do the same to a 68 Camaro rearend and am just wondering if there is any magic to this process or not. Thanks, Brian:bowtieb:

·
Registered
510 Posts
i've done a couple of 8.8s from explorers. have to shorten the left axle tube to center the yoke. not too bad to do but last week i talked to a f&*d tech that used an 8.8 from a mid 90s ranger in a 55 chevy. he said he didn't have to narrow the left side and it was an easy swap. he said the 8.8s from the rangers that work best are from a package called "splash". they were all bright blue red or yellow(maybe other colors but most are those 3) and were all flare side beds. he said they were all built with 31 spline axles and posi. i'll talk to him again this week to verify and add any more info he can furnish.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
G.R.: When you mounted new spring perchs how did you figure out what angle to put them at reference the yoke? :confused0006:I am having to do the same to a 68 Camaro rearend and am just wondering if there is any magic to this process or not. Thanks, Brian:bowtieb:
Try looking at this site http://www.ssz28.com/tech/Pinionangle.html it explains it far better than I can. I had a friend, a knowledgeable builder and a welder(I'm no welder:redface:) help me set mine up. We basically mocked up everything then double/triple checked all the angles then he welded everything up. My car body was off the frame.

·
Registered
261 Posts
G.R.: Thanks for the link. That pretty well explains it. :tuI just need to get me a fancy pinion angle measuring tool. Brian:bowtieb:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Best Lookin Rear End ?

:happy0030: In my opinion it would be a 21 year old blond with what they call a hard body and wearing a thong................LOL

thats just my opinion of course !

Don, aka.....the hamsman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts