Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the Big D (depression), I'm at a point in my life where I have lost interest in 'Christine'-my '57 Chevy. I'll take her out for a local drive 2-3 times a week but have several minor corrections that I need to do but just can't motivate myself (blown fuse or disconnected wire going to the Vintage A/C--had my tools in r/f floor for over 3 months!!!!)(touch up several scratches done by my grandkids)(swap out both front door glasses--my vendor sold me a set of green tinted glass but didn't notice until installed that the dorr glasses werew actually blue--I'm sort of colorblind)

I'm even finding it hard just to wash/ wax he--haven't detailed the engine in over a year!!

Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do???

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Man dont fill bad I had the big D before and let my Belair set for 4 years my brother had past away and I just starting to loose interest in it. So I let it set for 4 years under a shed no cover on it 454 BBC with 2 fours out the hood and then one day I had to get it back on the road and been going every sence, still loose interest in it form time to time but 24 years later now I have 2 1955 chevys a 210 Delray and my baby the Belair and now its time to go threw the Belair again, so keep your head up you will be allright and get interest in it again. I will leave some pictures of my Belair thats just sitting in the shop for the last year or two. Later Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply dei355--some folks see the Big D as a taboo subject--but it's everywhere!!
I just don't know if I should just let her sit and be ignored or go ahead and sell her--sure-I really enjoy her when I'm behind the wheel, driving down the road and listening to the exhaust 'talk to me'.

·
Administrator
50,519 Posts
Sid if you really don`t feel like messing with it then just cover it up and let it sit for awhile. Kind of like a cooling off period. I lost a good paying factory job in 1993, covered my 57 up and let it sit until 1998. Was self-employed and was just getting by. I almost sold it in 1996, but thankfully my wife talked me out of that one. Which is funny since she was always harping on how much money i was spending on parts when i had the money. I really got busy on it in 2003 and then it was on again, off again. I finally got it back on the road again this past April. Man am i glad i didn`t sell it. It is sure a stress reliever just riding around in it. Granted, it still likes the interior to be finished :eek: and i have times were won`t work on it for several weeks at a time. But it is always sitting in the shop when i do want to work on it.
Terry

·
Registered
477 Posts
Brother - I know just where you are at. When I blew my back out and had to quit building engines it devastated me and I lost interest in everything. the pain meds became an addiction and when I worked through that it left me with despair and even some suicidal thoughts. Came to learn that in the long term, depression is a response IN the body not OF the body. And I discovered that depression is a medical issue.

Find a place to park Christine under cover and look after yourself. the good thing about cars is that they are much like pets - they will always love ya! You can come back to her later and she will still be your gal! And see your doctor - there is no need to suffer it.

It took me a couple years and some meds - and in my case once I got it under control the personal tools I learned work without the meds. My wife is currently taking cymbalta with good results - her depression will always require the meds - its a hereditary thing in her case. But either way you can face it and work throught it - just may need help. the first part is done - identifying that you feel different! PEASE don't self medicate - I almost got caught up in that!

Good luck man. And keep this in mind - now my trucks and cars are part of my therapy - so I have even more enjoyment from them than I used to!

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,223 Posts
hi sid. cover her up and take a time out. you will be sorry in the future if you get rid of her. :anim_25:

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,813 Posts
Fight it!!! I go through bouts of the big D and hate taking meds. I have days where it wins but most days I win. Meds make me feel not my self. I know it sounds flippish but I feel that I can beat it myself and I do most of the time. You just have to want to do it. A lot of people rely on a magic pill to take care of things for them and they end up thinking they can't do anything by themselves.
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey, Man, We all have times of depression and want to sell off our prizes, but please rethink this. I have had cancer now 3 years and lost a bunch of my investments in the Big D, thought about selling my prized '55 Chevy BelAir, but realized that once the money was gone, I wouldn;t be any better off and my car would be gone forever. Just keep your pride up, trust in the Lord, and hold onto your ride, it is one of the best tension relievers you will ever have. Good luck , think long and hard, take a ride, a long ride, enjoy it and you will have a different outlook on life. Best of luck, Man, but hold onto your ride. Charles :wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey Sid, The Big "D" has all of Us twisted in some sorts, just put the car aside and ride the storm out!!, if You sell Her You'll miss Her!!! I felt the same way a while back just get motivated at Your own pace and hopefully things will work out..............Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thanks for the replies, said with tears streaming down my face-------it's nice to knowthat I'm not the only one that's faced this battle!! The Big D is one thing--the constant pain (headaches/ back/ neck) is another and sometimes I just don't know what to do--again--THANKS!!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Guys, thanks for the replies, said with tears streaming down my face-------it's nice to knowthat I'm not the only one that's faced this battle!! The Big D is one thing--the constant pain (headaches/ back/ neck) is another and sometimes I just don't know what to do--again--THANKS!!
I got hit head on in 2000 that screwed up my neck. (c6 & c7)
Before I never took anything stronger then an aspirin.
In 2004 a one-armed retired school teacher rear ended my car and send me to the hospital in a helicopter. This made my neck worse.
Now I take Tramadol, Neurontin, and Rabaxin 4x/daily. And it's been 10 years since I slept good.

+1 with Carl, mine sat for 20 years waiting for me, I go off and on working on it.
Going on 23 years for me.
I tore the car apart thinking I could do a 12 (maybe 18) month restoration on the car and got fired from my job.
I have worked on the car some. And the comments others tell me ("You'll never get it back together.") don't help.

I did work on the engine a little this past spring. :happy0030:

·
12,101 Posts
I've been going through a similar "down" for the past year. My GF of 4 years (at the time) left CO and moved 1000 miles back "home" last June. It really zapped my interest in my car, because she was such a motivation for me to work on it and we were so "connected" with each other in many ways. She was really interested in cars and my other hobbies too. So it was a big letdown in my life because I thought we were going to be together for a long time. We had been trying to get back together for most of the past year but the relationship finally just dwindled and died and she just quit talking to me. I think we can all guess what happened, even though she would never tell me the truth. :rolleyes:

So what did I do? I found a new girlfriend!!!! :)

I still haven't gotten back on the car, because we're having a lot of fun together and I have lots of other things to do. I'm staying out in the shop building frames, and I keep looking at the Nomad planning my next move. Also my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer a couple of months ago, and I've been dealing with that. She's taking chemo now, and the prognosis looks pretty good so I'm very hopeful.

I hope you can regain your interest. Maybe you need to regroup with friends who are interested in cars, and get excited about it again. Don't sell it...you will probably regret it later. If the "D" is long-lasting, I would recommend seeing a doctor or counselor. There's a lot of things they can do to help you get out of the funk. Good luck! Always try to look at the bright side of things, if you can. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sid I know how you are feeling.Had bolts and plats put in my back 3yrs ago.Lost my job shortly after i went back after working for them for 15yrs.Now i am going in for neck surgery 4,5,6, on oct,10. 50yrs old and nobody wants to hire me.So keep your head up and look to are lord and he will take care of you. And dont let your car go you will miss it.

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Sid, just keep in mind we are all like you and from time to time, we too suffer from this illness, it's no fun for sure and i quite frankly can't stand it, it's not a feeling that any of us want to endure.....but at some point in our lives, we do have to face it, regardless of who we are or what influence we have on other people… so, I DO Understand, you’re not ALONE and we support YOU, lay it on us Brotha, and we will help you through this, you take care, BDR, Leon Ellison, please contact me directly if you want to, I fight (as Many) the same batlle… take care brotha….BDR

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Don't sell that car , cover it up and get on with life ...It will wait for you to return. I have always regretted the cars I have sold. I thought my 56 would be on the road by now but It just didn't happen this year , on the positive side I have a new crate motor and aluminum heads and some other parts sitting on the shelf so I'm getting there slowly .
Keep it ........I'm sure "down the road" you will be glad u did......:party0031:

·
Registered
38,701 Posts
You just have to deal with this in your own way and figure out what is right for you over the long haul. Just don't make a decision that you won't recover from if your attitude would be different in a year or two. So it's not wrong to sell it, and it's not wrong to just let it sit. And maybe you need to commit to excellence on it and that will change your outlook. Pick the one that's right for you.

I'm really disappointed in my personal achievements on my project over the last 3-4 years. It's been a long term project, and the term keeps increasing! I haven't lost interest, I've just lost the pace. Sometimes you have to make a change in your plans/goals to adjust. I'm still wrestling with where to adjust and really haven't. The budget isn't a problem unless I turn it over to a pro, even then it might not be - but I still like to do too many things myself and either something gives or I keep going the way I am. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't EVER EVER EVER make major decisions while feeling down or depressed. You just aren't thinking logically and clearly. It's OK to be depressed or down at times...it really is. Life is crazy. Sometimes it's the best other times it feels like the worst. My dad always told me "No matter how bad things are, they can always get better". That's what I always think about when I get down.

If you have lost interest in your car, just walk away from it for now. Don't sell it. Find other things to do that you like. The car will be there when your interest comes back...and it WILL come back.

I'm with Laszlo, if this a lasting thing, go see a counselor or therapist. It's amazing what talking about stuff can do for you. Not to mention, just coming on here and venting or sounding off. We are here for you!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.