Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out priorities for my build. Here is my main thread if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40475&page=10

I'd like to have my car driveable/street legal/reliable by next Spring. I'm on a tight budget (and I mean TIGHT). I have already finished the front end, suspension and brakes. I have a Engine and trans (350 longblock and 350 trans).

Here is my list of things I planned to do (in no particular order):

- Rear Brakes and finish brake lines ($200 estimated)
- Rewire the entire car ($540 AAW or $200 EZ)
- Finish building engine ($400-500 includes new cam/lifters, bolt ons etc)
- Engine and Tranny Mounts ($150)
- Windshield ($200 though I would like to replace ALL glass at approx $600)
- Some rusted floorboards ($60-240 not sure how many panels are bad yet)
- Tires ($400 could get away with just replacing the one dry-rotted one)
- Various Electrical items bulbs, plugs, switches etc ($100)
- Gas tank and fuel lines ($150 just guessing)
- Carpet Kit ($100)
- Interior Paint (I already have some Eastwood Hot Rod Black)
- Misc costs along the way ($300)

Total: About $2300

Later Items:
- Air Conditioning ($1250 Vintage Air)
- Interior door panels, headliner, rear seat re-covered (????)
- Paint and body materials (my brother will be doing the body and paint for the cost of materials, so I am guessing $500??)
- Nicer Wheels ($700-800)
- Re-chroming bumpers and various other items ($1000)

Anything else I'm forgetting??

Any other things I can trim for now??

·
Administrator
48,733 Posts
I`d say anything that is a safety item or feature is critical is a MUST do. If you can put it off and still drive the car safely, then it can wait. If it requires a major tear down od an area done rebuilt later on then why not take care of it now and not have to redo something a second time(this one is definitely an experience talking thing).
Terry

·
12,256 Posts
How about your engine accessories like alternator, water pump, etc.? What about a radiator? Driveshaft? Do you have all the other parts?

I'm thinking you're way underestimating the cost for a paint job, but it depends on what kind of paint you plan to use. $1000 might get you two re-chromed bumpers, but that's about all the chrome you could get for that price.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
- Paint and body materials (my brother will be doing the body and paint for the cost of materials, so I am guessing $500??)
When your brother is finished Can he come and paint mine for the same price ......Please :) ... We have Cookies !

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense Terry, if I'm already tearing into an area, replace whatever is there so I don't create double work.

How about your engine accessories like alternator, water pump, etc.? What about a radiator? Driveshaft? Do you have all the other parts?

I'm thinking you're way underestimating the cost for a paint job, but it depends on what kind of paint you plan to use. $1000 might get you two re-chromed bumpers, but that's about all the chrome you could get for that price.
I was including alt, water pump etc in the $400-500 to rebuild the engine.

I forgot about the Radiator (I'm guessing $200 for an ebay aluminum?)

Driveshaft (I have the factory one, but I'm thinking a new one for around $175 shipped rather than having this one cut down??)

I thought that was cheap for the paint materials. Probably more like $1000-1500??

I'll have to look into the bumpers and chrome costs as well. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When your brother is finished Can he come and paint mine for the same price ......Please :) ... We have Cookies !
Yeah, I was probably underestimating on cost of materials. But labor is free. ;) I plan to just drop it off to him and let him keep it for like 3 months or more. He will work on it a bit at a time in-between jobs.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Most likely you will be able to use the drive shaft you now have with that motor-tranny combo. Strongly suggest you go to a paint store and find the color you like and find out the cost of the paint. You will be surprised what that little can of paint costs!

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
red orange and yellow are the most expensive colors. I painted my 68 camaro over the xmas holiday and it was $1400 for the orange basecoat and clear alone that didn't include the sealer and primers used during the job ,probably another 500 .

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW, guess I underestimated on the paint a bit. As for colors, I still haven't nailed down the color I'm going with. Here are what I'm picking from though:

- All Black
- Black and Charcoal
- Sky Blue Metallic and Cool Vanilla (cream color)
- Silver and Cool Vanilla
- Viper Red and Cool Vanilla
- Charcoal and Cool Vanilla

Not sure if any of those are particularly cheaper or more expensive. I would guess the black would be the cheapest cause there are probably a ton of black choices??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts