Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I have started on my rear quarter replacement and need some ideas.
I have been through the Danchuk catalogue and searched here but cannot find what people have used to replace the (felt?) seal on top of the inner wheel house up to the quarter. Mine has disintegrated and was a rust starter anyway. Any suggestions of what you have done here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know that seal & the wheelhouse to quarter panel seals are available I replaced the complete inner & outer quarter panel on my 56 hardtop don’t remember where I got the seals from but I bet Eastcoast Chevy will have them or know where to get them 215/348/5568

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am trying to find what it is called and what it is made of and looks like. If possible I would like to make it up to save waiting for it to ship to Australia.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not sure what it’s called it’s just a soft piece of weatherstrip thinner at the bottom so is goes down between the two panels and wider on the topside kind of mushroom shape if you know what a mushroom looks like (down under)the top side is as wide maybe a little wider that both pieces and covers the full length I looked to see if I had any photos but none showing the weatherstrip itself I’ve been to your beautiful country once.I tell anyone that the people there were the friendliest of anywhere we’ve been

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will try the dealers here on Monday. I am not the first one doing this but first time for me and I want to get it right. We found Americans to be very friendly when we have visited. I think people tend to be nicer to a stranger with a foreign accent. We were planning a trip over with some parts buying at Danchuk and the Western Invasion next month but well everyone knows why that won’t be happening. Some time to work on my car instead. Nice looking 56 too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is the reply I got from Mikey. I had the same question. Bought my other seals for the inner from Woodys and this seal wasn't in the kit.

Because the original way the factory did it was to use an expanding foam material.

I have just used a dense cell foam and cut to fit. It will compress as the skin is installed. I glue it in with 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive

Mikey

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
BTDT..
Bought the Danchuk seal.. NO WAY would it conform to the 1/4 panel.
Returned them, and got Woodys. Fit right, and was long enough to cover the entire edge.
Was flexible, too.

·
Registered
652 Posts
EastCoast Chevy part#23-191A if I’m not badly mistaken & the edge of wheelhouse to quarter panel seal #23191D Danchuk T&N#23-191 again these are East Coast numbers

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I second that the Woody's seal is better and should last longer. If you buy the danchuk seal, you'll need two kits to full cover both rear inner wheel well lips (and to eliminate the stapled portion)...

·
Registered
652 Posts
The woodys wheel well to inner quarter panel seal looks better & much easier to install than the kit I used on mine but does it include the piece that I believe the OP originally ask about it does not show it on woodys description at least not from what I’m looking at. I can’t remember where I got mine from are if the upper seal I believe he’s referring to came with or if I ordered it separate on my car I only did left side & like mentioned above I see no reason you couldn’t use dense foam & glue in place

·
Registered
38 Posts
aus 55 Im doing the same job currently on my 56 2 door hardtop. 23 191a is to short when installed against the wheelwell seal , there is a gap of about 40mm at the top. I bridged it with a bead of sealer. also the wheel well seals are to short to go the entire length of the wheel well, they supply a extra piece to make up the distance but Im not sure how it attaches. I am checking with Clark Rubber tomorrow as they have a rubber seal 35mm wide with a pinch weld, it should do the job. Will let you know. Regards Andrew

·
Registered
968 Posts
The guy I bought my 210 from had replaced both quarters. Everything looks good, but in the wheel well I notice there is an 1/8” gap at the top on the left side and closer to a 1/4” at the same spot on the right. I wasn’t sure if this was because the aftermarket seal was off or the contour of the aftermarket quarters. Does anyone make an oversized seal that will compensate for this?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys
I bought a couple of different profiles of rubber today from a shop I came across to try for the upper seal. I have two different brands for the seals around the arch. The Woodys type seal looks much easier than staples. I will be interested what you find at Clark rubber.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts