Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

What was it Like in....

4510 Views 87 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  DUSTY 57
I'm 48...so I don't have the depth of knowledge or experience many here do...

Could some of you indulge and give me life from your perspective in:

1950s:

1960s:

1970s:

IF anyone was around in the 1940s ....please also chime in...

Thanks!

TE
1 - 3 of 88 Posts
Oh my god, how young is this whipper snapper??? For families in rural areas with no electricity-----------------YES, there was a time when many people did not have electricity in the home--------------- and Maytag made washing machines with 2cycle gas engines. Some were 1 cylinder, and there was also a larger capacity Maytag washing machine that had a 2 cylinder 2cycle engine. They had a kick starter, kind of like the kick starter on a Cushman Eagle. SURELY people here are familiar with the Cushman Eagle!!! By the 50s, Maytag gasoline engines were dirt cheap or even free. Me and several of my friends made go-carts out of wood, rounded up wheels from wherever, and powered by a Maytag engine. I made my first Maytag go-cart about 1953.
Cushman's were Gutless! > My dad had a Cushman & a Doodle Bug!. The Doodle Bug could climb hills that the Cushman couldn't begin to climb! But they were still both Fun to ride!!! Richard ('57 Chevy)
Reactions: 1
I guess I had it easy. We always had "indoor plumbing" and electricity. Being born in 1949 might have put me in a good decade for basic conveniences. Plus, we lived in town on a paved street. The house I grew up in had electricity and two vertical gas fired radiant heaters and a set of gas logs and mom's washing machine was hooked up to the water. Yep, I must have had it easy.
I was born in 1939 & we always had all that too & we had a milkman deliver milk to us in Glass bottles!
I remember the milkman and the glass bottles. We, too, didn't have a TV until I was ten and we got our first window unit air conditioner when I was about 12 or 13. Until then we used a large window fan and left our windows up at night so the fan could pull air in and thru our bedrooms. We never locked our doors back then.
Yeah, I too, was about 10 or so when we got our first TV. A 12" Packard Bell Combo! TV, Radio & Record player that also Recorded your own records! STEEL NEEDLE & all !!!!! lol!
1 - 3 of 88 Posts