Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember my first "Barn Find" I was in 7th grade and riding my bike down our street in Great Falls Montana. I saw it in a garage/barn. I road home told my step father Bob, he said lets go look at it. Down the street we drove and next thing I know we're towing it home.I already had my '55 but that was at my dad's in California. This truck was the high light of my young life. We worked on it and finally got it running by holding a can of gas on top of the spare tire because the tank was all varnished up. We drove by the old owners house honked the horn and off we went. It had a gravity feed fuel tank, mechanical brakes, a removable wooden floor and spoke wheels. I remember sitting in study hall drawing pictures of what I was going to do. I was going to put Accel yellow spark plugs in it with orange plug wires, I was going to paint the flat head engine chevy orange. Man I had plans for it but we ended up moving to Oregon and my step father sold it so we wouldn't have to haul it there. Boy I wish I still had that 1936 International Harvester C1 1/2 ton pickup!!! Who else has a "Barn Find" story?!?!?

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
There was an old english car still do not know what it was to this day all I remember was that it was black and smelt of that old car smell. It was in an abonded house locked away in a garage, looked like it would have been an easy fix.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Been in several barns and my only finds have been dehydrated manure. Might be a message there. Guess I'm not as lucky as others.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Yes, I too was in 7th/8th grade but I wasn't looking in barns. My Dad and I found ours in pastures, backyards and what I called "back-row beauties" on car lots! First car brought back to life was a '50 Chevy 4-door. Had a bad transmission. Car #2 was a '48 Plymouth 4-door. Bad engine. Car #3 was a '58 Ford 2-door sedan that had a bad engine. I painted all three. Likely why today I am not 100% a Chevy man but enjoy most anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There have been a few but the one that drives me nuts was a old wooden garage down the street from me. I would walk by and see a greenish front fender but never knew what it was. Till one day I saw the tow truck and driver pulling it out, a 69 or 70 Shelby kr 500 ! It was wrecked on the driver side , but who cares. The driver told me he had just bought it for 500 dollars! 30 years later I'm still mad! :sign0020:

·
Registered
153 Posts
My dad found a 66 El Camino about 10 years ago. He bought it and enjoyed it for a few years how it was and now its almost done being fully restored.!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My brother who was 15(almost 16) at the time told me about this cool old car he and his friends had found in a garage off an alley down by the college. He asked me if I would go look at it with him. Turns out it was a '57 Cadillac 2dr HT owned by the proverbial 'little old lady'...she hadn't driven in 10 years and the car was parked in the garage and had a tarp over it, 4 almost flat tires and 10 years of assorted grit and grime on it.
Anyway long story short, my brother, my Dad and myself went back there looked the car over once again and that old Caddy became my brothers first car...for $200. Sad thing is my brother destroyed that car in less than 2 years, had a couple minor fender benders(his fault) then summer before his senior year he and his buddies made the 'brilliant' decision to cut the top off the car..."Uh, dude you do remember it rains and snows here in Colorado, right?"

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Got a call from a friend. Asked if I'd be interested in an old Ford. He knew I was a Chevy kinda guy. I asked what kind of old Ford (Imagining a 65 Ford Custom 500 4 door, 6 cylinder car). He said a guy just moved in to his neighborhood, and didn't have room in the garage for it, he didn't know the info on it, but it had no top. Peaked my interest. Took a friend over to see it, guy had pushed it out of the way into some prickly pear cactus. 1929 Ford roadster, bone stock, no rust anywhere, non-running with a 1951 Wyoming license plate on it. Story was, the original owner drove it from Wyoming to their new home along the Mexican border, parked it in the car port and there it sat until she died. Long story short, I took it to the next LA Roadster show and sold it there. Street Rodder magazine coverage included a picture of that car on my car trailer in the swap meet area. The 1951 Wyoming plate is wall art in my shop.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This would be our 2nd '56 chevrolet find. Just 2 months ago, We found a '56 210 wagon that had been sitting in the back shed for 18 years, The original owners son had got it out in the street before i could get pictures of where it was sitting. Here's some of what i got.

and 2 months later, we replaced fuel tank,lines,carb,headers,drop spindals,wheels/tires. and a 3Mvehicle wrap over the patina and she has her pretty wagon driver

·
Registered
532 Posts
The one that started my love of tri-fives was right out in the open down the street from me. It was a '57 150 handyman wagon, though I didn't know what it was when I was 12 years old. I just knew I loved it. It was an old quarter miler with chrome reverse wheels on the rear with slicks mounted and Keystone Classics on the front and it had a four speed in it with fender well headers. It also had a primer gray and black (or faded) panel paint job with a red pinstripe dividing the colors on each panel. No idea what it had for a motor. The only thing I could really see wrong with it was that the chrome was rusting. The body was still in pretty good shape.

The guy refused to sell it for years and then one day it just disappeared. I don't know if he moved out of his mom's house and took it, sold it or scrapped it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have two "barn find" stories from the late-70's with sad endings.

My Mother knew someone who supposedly had a 1957 Jaguar roadster that they acquired in a trade. After several years of asking about the car I was finally allowed to go look at the car. It had been a complete, running car years before...........when they parked it in a chicken coop!! 10+ years of chicken poop had eaten the convertible top, seats, paint, wiring and the burlwood dash. There was not enough left to drag it home. What a shame.

About the same time, I was working at a steel supply selling structural steel. On my regular route I always saw a `59 Porshe and a `59 Mercedes parked under pine trees next to a mobile home. Both were covered with pine needles to the point that the convertible top on both had been eaten away. Several people told me that the owner was crazy and would run off anyone who stopped to ask about the cars. Well, I just had to find out for myself. When he came out of the trailer with a shotgun, I had my answer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Reload this Page What was your first "Barn Find"

This barn find thread got me thinking so me and a buddy went out today to look for one we had heard about.You never know if it is true or if you can even find it.So after a while looking in the wrong places we found it,Sure enough the car was in a poll barn and had been sitting for a long time The car is a 57 F...rd 300 custom 2 door complete. I made a low offer to the owner and we agreed on a price.It comes with the title and he will clean it out. I know it is not a Chevy but I could not just leave it in the dirt.I probably will just sell it.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
1913 Buick Touring Car

When I was a teenager I spent summers working on a farm in Northeast, PA. The fellow that owned the farm was a family friend. He was also a high school shop teacher ( very handy). In his barn he had stored a 1913 Buick Touring car. From what I remember all the parts where there. It had been sitting there since pre WWII. Howard kept talking about restoring it. He never had the time.

The last time I saw the car was 1965, just before I went into the service. Over the years we lost touch with Howard's family. I know it was still sitting there as late as 1990. I often wonder what happened to that car.

John

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
About ten years ago I bought a piece of farming property that had a house, a couple of barns and concrete block buildings on it, and buried in the back of one of the barns was a Lamborghini. Since my dad and I were both the sort that we wanted everything leaned up and organized, without telling me he had a junk man come and take all the old junk, the Lamborghini, and knock down the buildings as they were all pretty unsafe, and haul it all away.

Good thing it was just an old crap tractor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts