Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going to my local junkyard and pulling a modern style tilt steering column and steering wheel. Like Chevy full size truck or blazer or astro van. I'm just wondering what I should look for? I plan on doing some type of power steering conversion as well.
Thanks!!
I measured my stock column and its about 36" long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
Take your time.....most anything can be adapted. I'll be curious as to what you get. Pictures before during and after will be great to see.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take your time.....most anything can be adapted. I'll be curious as to what you get. Pictures before during and after will be great to see.
Yeah I took a walk thru the junk yard today and found a few steering wheel/columns I liked. One was out of a 97 chevy suburban, another from a 98 Chevy blazer, and one from a 98 full size chevy van. I know they all have airbags but i plan on removing the bag from inside and reinstall the horn and cover. I might even try and use the column mounted lights and turn signials and ignition system.:eek:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only thing I'm not sure about is the column mounted gear selector. I'm wondering if I can use it to control a 700R4

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
1976 Chevy Van is the newest column you can use, Everything else has a key in the side and looks silly. IMO

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So besides the ignition on the column looking silly, I should be able to make them work ya?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after looking at 50-100 differnt cars and trucks at the junk yard I found this one. Its a 1989 Chevy Suburban. I knew as soon as I opened thee door to the truck that I was going to take this one. THE KEYS WERE STILL IN THE IGNITION!!:eek:OH YEAH:party0031: Plus it was almost identical in length 36" same length as my stock steering column. Also this sub. happened to have a 700R4 in it so I grabbed the shift linkage as well. not sure if I can use it or not, but I grabbed it anyway. Here are a few pictures.

It was pretty easy to pull it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I got the column home I noticed the tilt mech.was a little loose. So I had to take the column apart to get to this one dang bolt!! Uggg. Doing this was almost harder that removing the column from the truck.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here it is all back together again. Feels good after I greased everything.
I still need to go back to the junk yard and get a little spring that goes behind the shift lever to keep it in place. Also need a new reverse backup switch. No biggie.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why? you don't like it? I want a more modern steering wheel. what about a newer wheel like a 98-2002 Chevy steering wheel?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking for a nice modern looking leather steering wheel.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That collum setup will work great with the 700r4.
The key on the collum is fine. But it`s needs a
period wheel, not a modern one, jmo.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah man you guys are beating my up on the steering wheel. I just haven't found a good after market steering wheel that is affordable and looks good.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think my column came out of an 86 oldsmobile. You can make all that stuff work. mine uses everything. I even wired the cruise control button to be a momentary for the dome light. And I used a grant wheel. you need to keep that keyring too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think my column came out of an 86 oldsmobile. You can make all that stuff work. mine uses everything. I even wired the cruise control button to be a momentary for the dome light. And I used a grant wheel. you need to keep that keyring too!

Yeah The pink superman key ring huh....... :sign0020:Did you hook up the windshield wiper controls as well?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts