Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a friend that put about a quart of brake fluid in the cooling system of a newer car by mistake. Would that hurt anything if you left it?

:)

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I know a man (whos name I won't mention) that put a quart of oil in the transmission filler pipe.
The worst thing is that he was working at a gas station and it was a customers car.:sign0020:

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
The system will probably develop leaks sooner than later. You may want to change the "O" rings. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's different about the rubber in a brake system?

·
Administrator
49,515 Posts
Put it this way, an old wrecking yards owners trick to getting the power steering to stop leaking in used cars was to put a tablespoon of brake fluid in the pump. He said it would swell the seals and it would stop leaking so it would sell easier.;)
Terry

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
So I have a friend that put about a quart of brake fluid in the cooling system of a newer car by mistake. Would that hurt anything if you left it?

:)
I'd strongly suggest having the cooling system flushed and refilled. Don't leave it in there. The hoses, seals and gaskets that come into contact with engine coolant are not designed to be compatible with brake fluid.

Best regards and good luck,

Harry

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I really have to ask, how the hell did he put a quart of brake fluid in the coolant system?:p3:
I have not done that one but I can see how its done on this new junk with stupid symbols instead of labels. I take a paint stick and label things, because I am not a cave man who speaks symbol and cryptic picture I speak English.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,751 Posts
So I have a friend that put about a quart of brake fluid in the cooling system of a newer car by mistake. Would that hurt anything if you left it?:)
Jerrspud....I think it will make the engine stop good :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't think a standing mixture of DOT-3 and another substance that contains water make a good working combination.

At least that's the results I saw in a study years ago that brake fluid absorbed moisture at the rate of 1% a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts