Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumped here. My left rear tire periodically rubs on inner fender. Only left side not right. On put a 1/8" spacer and it still seems to rub. Not all the time. Running 255/50/17 Nittos When car is on ground sitting there appears to be about 1/2" of clearance.

Body or differential seems to be moving.

I know, just get smaller tires!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
What shape is the rear spring and shackle bushings?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I'm running the same tires on my 55 and have not seen this on my car, when does it rub? Going around corners, going straight down the road. You will see some deflection of the rear suspension around corners, but not going straight.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Square and plumb....not.

These bodie shells are not always perfectly square. It is common to have different clearances side to side.

Once the leaf spring and shackle bushings are freshened, if the problem persists, I'd start with a front sway bar if you don't already have one, then a rear sway bar if necessary. Body roll is most likely the culprit, along with fatter than factory tires.

:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a front swaybar but no rear sway bar.

Bushings are all new since rebuild. Leaf springs and shackles are new.

Don't know exactly when it rubs, either in a turn or not.

At least I know why my mileage is suffering...

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Huh, your mileage is suffering, it rubs that hard and constant?

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
Nah, it's not rubbing that bad. I have blue tape on the inner fender and there is obvious black residue.
You need to be careful Mel that it does not cut the tyre open. You need to do some measuring from the diff centre to each tyre & inner tyre well to see if its off.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
15 wide by 33 tall.

Tub it. :driver:

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Mel, it would be good to understand when rubbing occurs. Good news is if it only rubs when cornering or negotiating a curb you may me able to eliminate rubbing with a simple rear sway as suggested earlier. I know you already have a front sway bar.

Bad news is if it rubs when driving straight down the road you are faced with a change in rear wheel and/or tire size. I suppose you could look at larger spacer if you have outside fender clearance, but I am not a fan of wheel spacers.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mel, it would be good to understand when rubbing occurs. Good news is if it only rubs when cornering or negotiating a curb you may me able to eliminate rubbing with a simple rear sway as suggested earlier. I know you already have a front sway bar.

Bad news is if it rubs when driving straight down the road you are faced with a change in rear wheel and/or tire size. I suppose you could look at larger spacer if you have outside fender clearance, but I am not a fan of wheel spacers.
Thanks Jim. I too am not a fan of spacers but I thought it was a quick fix but apparently it's not fixing the issue. I don't think it's all of the time but cannot confirm.

Funny when it comes to car issues, "when it rains, it pours"

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Just a thought if the rim is slightly bent that can cause rubbing but if that was the case you'd probably also feel a slight vibration whether going straight or cornering.

The body shells are often not square and there can be variances in space between the passenger and drivers side wheel wells. A friends bone stock '55 4dr 'survivor' with the exception of 7'' Cragar mag wheels w/newer aprox. stock size tires has about 3/8'' difference between fender and tire from the right side to the left... he has slightly over 3/4'' on one side and slightly less than a 1/2'' on the other.

A rear sway bar might help if it is rubbing while cornering.
You might be able to test it if you have a curvy road you can drive. Put a strip of tape on the inside of the fender before starting the drive into the curves, drive the curves, both ways, keeping straight line driving to a minimum then check the the tape...

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
well if you put the blue tape on and it's still there it's not all the time.
"blue tape it", then drive around a few corners easy first, check the tape, then drive around a few corners fast then check the tape..............

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I have never seen a Tri5 that the rear end was not off center, they all are. Plus your rear suspension will flex some from side to side. It probably happens mainly on a hard turn as the body leans. Additionally you have a tall tire back there, go to a 45 series.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Maybe first put your wheels and tires on the type of balancer that checks for "out of round" or side to side distortion there could be a belt slipping. If the tire is only leaving a black mark on the tape instead of tearing it off or there is no shinny steel worn area where the tire rubs it must be just slightly rubbing?

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I`m running 235-45-17 up front (25 in.) After I cut one coil the tire rubbed on one drivers side fender bolt that I then switched to a shorter round head.After the front sway bar install. it only rubbed a little on hard cornering.After the rear bar install no rub.My front end is fresh with urethane bushings, tie rods ect. The rear is newer but off center by 1\16 in.:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a couple of shots that I took of my 'tape' experiment,

As you can see the above shot looks pretty good. That was in February of this year. Now here's a picture of the other day:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Your tire at 27" is OK, so you have to much back spacing on the wheels. There should be plenty of room outward with a 255 so buy new rear wheels with less back space to move tires away from body. Probably not what you want to do but I wouldn't let that tire rub like that.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Your tire at 27" is OK, so you have to much back spacing on the wheels. There should be plenty of room outward with a 255 so buy new rear wheels with less back space to move tires away from body. Probably not what you want to do but I wouldn't let that tire rub like that.
Yep, agree, as I stated earlier I'm running the same tires on an 8" wheel with a 4.5 inch BS and haven't had any rubbing issue. What is the backspace on your wheels?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts