Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im still just looking for a while before I actually pull the trigger on buying a 55.
But someone gave me advice,and I think Im going to take it. They said if your buying a 55' ,I should get something already done up,like as far as good body,paint,floors,interior,etc and other things that would cost a fortune if I buy a car needed alot of these things.
But im just curious about what something like this would cost to have fixed. In this ebay auction if you look in the pics you can see a ding and paint missing about the headlight. This looks like a decent car and will probally be in my price range,but was just curious on what this would cost to have repaired? "I know different people and places cost different prices so just if you have a ballpark figure"
I mean for my price range Im not going to be able to afford a flawless show car,So I will have to expect some work here in there,but this doesnt look horrible,maybe just pull the fender,bring it in for dent to be fixed and painted?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/55-C...4720962?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a5e91ddc2

6,794 Posts
For 14,000 looks like fresh paint over bad body. Two of the worst places for rust are the two places this car shows to have problems. Also the pitting in and out, esp dash chrome is not cheap, but easily replacable. Would be very leary. Lloyd

·
Registered
38,698 Posts
The dent in the driver fender would be pretty easy to fix, maybe $200.

I would be more concerned about the area under the trunk lid on the passenger side. The trunk lid doesn't fit right, that might be easily fixed or it might not. I would be very concerned that rust has been repaired with body filler and has cracked. And if that is the case, the other side is probably the same way but hasn't cracked yet. I'd be wanting to see what the trunk floor looks like in that area too.

If we can see these things in photos, it definitely deserves a look in person before deciding on your bid limit.

And the reserve may be much higher than the current bid.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,223 Posts
did not get to the reserve yet, so you don't know what it will sell for. :confused0024:

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,100 Posts
Certainly is a good looking car....but always best to actually have a look at them up close and personal like !
Photos may say 1000 words ...but ya just can't trust em :)
:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Its a Northern car.The paint could be hiding a gallon of bondo.$14,000 & reserve is not met?
If I had anywhere near that much money to spend on a tri-5,I would be looking out west where they have the best old bodies.
I grew up in New Hampshire & I wouldnt buy a car from a Northerner even if the owner said that it came from Nevada.It doesnt take much salt to eat up 50 year old metal,and it has a habit of getting in the darndest places.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Its a Northern car.The paint could be hiding a gallon of bondo.$14,000 & reserve is not met?
If I had anywhere near that much money to spend on a tri-5,I would be looking out west where they have the best old bodies.
I grew up in New Hampshire & I wouldnt buy a car from a Northerner even if the owner said that it came from Nevada.It doesnt take much salt to eat up 50 year old metal,and it has a habit of getting in the darndest places.
Very well said............:tu

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
This guy is a flipper....
I wonder why no detailed pics of the underside, trunk ??
Paint looks like a cheapo enamel, single stage...
Qtr trim looks BEAT..
"Straight pipes"??

My guess: The reserve is $20K...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Listen to these guys, we bought our car in Buffalo NY but it came from Georgia a few years before, most of what we were finding was Awesome paint over Mud. Don't let a pretty face sway you, look at my garage pics, this is a car we have $19,000 invested in and it took forever to find, it still has a long way to go to be perfect but it is worth the extra expense to buy a good canvas to work on and definately take a second impartial set of eyes with you.

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
Seller calls it a Belair but missing is the front fender SS spear as well as the SS trim on top of the doors and side windows... I wonder what the cowl tag says:questionmark: Just because someone installs a Belair radio speaker does not a Belair make... Later, Dave

·
Registered
38,698 Posts
The car is obviously a 210.

Lots of people call all of them Bel Airs. Flip over to chevytalk where this guy made a long video about Craig Morrison's AME car and called it a Bel Air.

I agree it looks like a dealer.

Key thing is what is it really worth compared to others on the market.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice,This is what I really need. Like I said im just browsing the internet to see whats out there and what things are costing. But as you said parts look different from car to car,and im not sure what is original and what is a reproduction. I was just curious about the price of body work here,as someone who told me all that stuff from body work to paint cost a good bundle and to stay away from a car that needs alot of work,But I think they were refering to something like a project car as it would cost countless thousands to get it nice. But I dont want a little body work scare me away from a good car either.
Like I said I dont plan on looking seriously till this upcoming june and hopefully my budget will be around 20k-25k. But when I buy it will have to be as is as I wont have much money to fix it up,like as far as redoing interior,new paint etc.
I plan on having it for a long time and will put my custom touches on it,but it will just take some time so I will need it to look good so I can go to some cruise in's and joy ride till then.
But the good thing is,my father is a chrome plater,so all the free chrome I want :) But the other goodies will have to wait.
Whats everyone honest opions of my budget,will I beable to find a nice 55 for that?
Also is there any catalogs that I can order that is like a standard place for ordereing 55' reproductions parts so I can study on what is not original,and just to see what it would cost to find a replacment hard to find item etc.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
My 2 cents:

I think you could buy a very nice 2 door car right now for 20 to 25K. The market out there for classic cars out there sucks and it is a great time for a deal. My advice would be to look for a good one in that price range now instead of trying to buy a 15K car and put 10K into it. Unless, the car is in the middle of a quality restoration and just needs finishing.

However, by the way you talk, I think you need to find someone experienced to help you find one. 99 times out of 100, buying a car like this sight-unseen is probably going to lead to a major disappointment for someone trying to do what you are talking about.

I wouldn't consider paying 20 to 25K for a car unless it had photo-documentation and receipts of the type of restore that was done. If it were a body shop that did the job, I would want to see other cars in their shop undergoing restoration. Otherwise, I just couldn't trust that the body work was done to a quality that would pass my standards.

With that one on Ebay, I think there is a very high chance that the restoration was not quality. You can find cars like that all day long in that price range that need to be stripped down and started from scratch to be done right and in reality are worth well less than 10K. Might as well start with one that is already stripped down.

You can put perfume on a pig. But, it's still a pig. You can put a new paint job on a car and cover up a bunch of stuff that is real bad and the real car will come out before too long. Never trust talk. Know what you are getting before laying out cash. You are the one with the choices not the seller.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,100 Posts
Also is there any catalogs that I can order that is like a standard place for ordereing 55' reproductions parts so I can study on what is not original,and just to see what it would cost to find a replacment hard to find item etc.
Get yourself a Danchuk catalog
excellent reference material as all parts are photographed and in color
and in that catalog you will find other fine reference material available :tu

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the danchuck info,I will take a look through tonight.
Yes I wouldnt just bid on a car without seeing it,and you are correct I dont kow much about cars,and know less about old classics. So I will try to buddy up to someone who already owns a 55' hopefully someone would be willing to help me out when the time comes,But if I cant find anyone is there people who I can hire to go over the car and point out bad/good points and in other words tell me if the car is worth the money?

·
Registered
138 Posts
i would never buy a "finished" car. but that being said, you can't trust a lot of restoration shops to actually do a nice job building one for you either. just ask the guy we're redoing a 68 hurst olds for. just last year, he got the car back from a so called "restoration shop". it cost him almost $93,000, and now we get to do it over. i swear, i've never seen a car built this bad. :eek::rolleyes:

so unless you can do the work yourself, you're pretty much screwed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.