Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,637 Posts
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL first generation Chevy small block engines are a pure, 100% direct bolt-in fit in a 55-57 Chevy using the factory front mount brackets and hardware. This includes 265-283-327-350-SB400, and all the various versions inbetween.
As mentioned, SOME blocks did not have all 4 threaded holes----------------------------TOO EASY TO DRILL AND TAP them, using the mount bracket as a template.

Last, DO NOT unnecessarily waste time and money making any mistakes. If you have questions, come here first for CORRECT answers.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,392 Posts
As far as I know. all 350's had the four engine mount holes drilled and tapped...I did come across a '66. 327 that the passenger's side was not though

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,893 Posts
Just curious, would the front holes in a BBC line up the same? I have some super duty front mounts I had on the front, but I don't know if they were made specially for a BBC. I'm curious if they would fit a SBC also.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Pretty sure the holes aren't in the same location if memory serves me as the popular mounting system was a Hurst front mount plate back in the late 60s that was what I used back then on 3 or 4 tri five BB conversions I had or helped work on.

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,637 Posts
Also, a BB is about 2in longer than a SB. SOOOOOOOOOOO, if the bell housing/block mating surface remains in the same position, then the front of a BB is going to be about 2in further forward than the front of a SB. Thus, stock 55-57 front mount brackets will not be in the same position as they would be with a SB.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Also, a BB is about 2in longer than a SB. SOOOOOOOOOOO, if the bell housing/block mating surface remains in the same position, then the front of a BB is going to be about 2in further forward than the front of a SB. Thus, stock 55-57 front mount brackets will not be in the same position as they would be with a SB.
They do not even bolt up. Pattern is different.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts