Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,643 Posts
BBC is a monster of an engine when fitted under the hood of a Trifive
That is correct, and that is one of the reasons why I am a big fan of the SB400. A stock GM 400 block can easily be opened up to 420 without compromising the block. Lots of power in a package that is literally a drop-in, bolt-in engine and EVERYTHING for a trifive is a pure bolt-on. It's just TOO EASY without the challenges that come with a BB.

·
Registered
247 Posts
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL first generation Chevy small block engines are a pure, 100% direct bolt-in fit in a 55-57 Chevy using the factory front mount brackets and hardware. This includes 265-283-327-350-SB400, and all the various versions inbetween.
As mentioned, SOME blocks did not have all 4 threaded holes----------------------------TOO EASY TO DRILL AND TAP them, using the mount bracket as a template.

Last, DO NOT unnecessarily waste time and money making any mistakes. If you have questions, come here first for CORRECT answers.
I was always under the impression that the large harmonic balancer on the 350 engine might be an interference with the original V8 mounts on a trifive. Has anyone had that problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys
daves, Welcome
If I recall, the BBC will fit into a TRI-FIVE using the BBC front mounts. Same configuration as a SBC only a wider stance. This lines up with the 6CYL. mounting holes in the frame. It moves the BBC motor 2-1/2"-3" forward. Note ADOR's picture (post) about the balancer. The hole in the frame is for a 6CYL mount. It's been about 50 years since I've done this.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
daves, Welcome
If I recall, the BBC will fit into a TRI-FIVE using the BBC front mounts. Same configuration as a SBC only a wider stance. This lines up with the 6CYL. mounting holes in the frame. It moves the BBC motor 2-1/2"-3" forward. Note ADOR's picture (post) about the balancer. The hole in the frame is for a 6CYL mount. It's been about 50 years since I've done this.
I've actually got Big Block Boat Mounts., I'll get pics after the storm passes this week.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts