Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are people selling two-doors for more? I mean, I also see conversion kits for two-doors, I see more pictures of them, what's so great? I mean, you have to fold down the seats to get to the back, the doors are so dang long that I've even seen them start to slump after awhile, and it's just, what's the point? Why are they so special to people?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts
Sanjay...Since you have not posted an Introduction thread yet...What kind of trifive do you have?

Or are you exploring the possibilities of buying one?

·
Premium Member
12,571 Posts
Why are people selling two-doors for more? I mean, I also see conversion kits for two-doors, I see more pictures of them, what's so great? I mean, you have to fold down the seats to get to the back, the doors are so dang long that I've even seen them start to slump after awhile, and it's just, what's the point? Why are they so special to people?
If you have to ask......................................

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts
Opened back up for replies

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I'm giving Sanjay the benefit of the doubt and assuming he asked his question because he's truly interested in trifive chevys and knowing the answer to his question... my answer is:

MOST of our parents drove 4-door cars in the fifties/sixties when we were still growing up at home (at least if we were not only children!).. I had 4 brothers/sisters so we ALWAYS owned 4-doors as family cars. Only two doors my dad ever owned during your young years were hunting cars ('50 Ford tudor, and '53 chevrolet 2-dr sed). IMO, the reason so many older classic enthusiasts like/drive 2 door cars is to prevent their buddies during HS years from exclaiming.. 'Oh, you got the old man's cars tonight eh'?? :) Don't tell me none of you ever heard that growing up~ :) .. so as soon as we could buy our own car, we looked for 2-drs (they were cheap).. and we began fixing them up.. :)

PRACTICALLY SPEAKING... 4- door cars are much more functional and usable as the back seat is usable, And (sedans) don't rattle as much when speeding over railroad tracks! :) I have 5 corvettes, a 69 Z28_RS, an El Camino, and 4 Nomads (all obviously 2 door cars), but I also own the 57 BA Sedan (a 4-door) which I bought in 1978 after first stopping to look at it thinking there's probably 'some good parts on there'!.. After examining the car, it was the MOST original trifive I'd seen in over 10 yrs at the time of looking at every Trifive I came across. I bought it and then couldn't bear to part it (or sell it), so I kept it and it became my primary 'go to club meetings' and 'go to car shows' car for many years. I even drove it daily while in grad school in '78-79! I entered it in the restored '57 class at the Nashville CCCI convention and it got a bronze against all the perfect restored cars in it's class! because of the paint job I'd done in my driveway, I had to declare it 'restored' even though everything else was factory original.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Dad drove a 68 Mustang and Mom drove a 2ht Cutlass when I was in HS. I still have the Mustang and not that Cutlass but Moms last one an 1985 V8 2ht.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I am very glad they made 4 doors was 56 2ht was in need of a lot of front sheet metal parts and all of them came from 4 doors, the year was 1974 and the junkyards were full of nice 4 doors, very few 2 doors that were not scrap or skeletons.

Slim petty well summed this one up.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that Mr55/56 family didn't go many places all together?? OR Mr55/56 would have had to move mom or dad out of the car or forward to get into the back seat as a 15/16 yr old??? My family only had one car (except for dad's hunting cars) because my mom got her license when I was 17. As the oldest of 5 children, and we visited family/grandparents every Sunday at least, and on shopping trips, drive in theatre trips, etc.. we were ALL piled in. A 4-door was the only viable solution, and MOST families were in the same situation.

EG. Check out the sales figures for those years. Chevrolet (and most mfgers) sold 5-10 times as many 4-dr sedans as 2-drs, and probably 10-20 times more than convertibles.. There was a reason for that. And I've already given you the reason that after 10 -15 yrs of use, the 4-doors ended up in salvage yards (because the teen age buyers of cheaper cars didn't want to be seen as driving 'his own mans' car... :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I was 17 Mom got a new 2 door HT Cutlass 3 days before all four of us left on a 2000 mile family vacation.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that Mr55/56 family didn't go many places all together?? OR Mr55/56 would have had to move mom or dad out of the car or forward to get into the back seat as a 15/16 yr old??? My family only had one car (except for dad's hunting cars) because my mom got her license when I was 17. As the oldest of 5 children, and we visited family/grandparents every Sunday at least, and on shopping trips, drive in theatre trips, etc.. we were ALL piled in. A 4-door was the only viable solution, and MOST families were in the same situation.

EG. Check out the sales figures for those years. Chevrolet (and most mfgers) sold 5-10 times as many 4-dr sedans as 2-drs, and probably 10-20 times more than convertibles.. There was a reason for that. And I've already given you the reason that after 10 -15 yrs of use, the 4-doors ended up in salvage yards (because the teen age buyers of cheaper cars didn't want to be seen as driving 'his own mans' car... :)

Sounds like you need to lose the nomad and get a practical 4 door wagon.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
SLIM wrote:
"Sounds like you need to lose the nomad and get a practical 4 door wagon. "

Funny you say that! :) EVERY time I take my Nomad to the trifive convention, and I have several "BIG ASSES" wanting a ride back to the hotel/etc, THAT is exactly what I think about when they are trying to CLIMB over my front seat to get into the back seat! BAH!

A nice 4-door wagon is an advantage in many situations... :)

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Mr55/56 wrote:
"I was 17 Mom got a new 2 door HT Cutlass 3 days before all four of us left on a 2000 mile family vacation. "

Thank you for that information, so I KNOW that you and your parents knew at least a bit about trying to cram 4 people into a 2 door car! :) Did you parents tell you...
a) 'kids' go jump in the car before we get in!"
b) or did your mom/dad say: "This is the LAST long vacation we take all together in a 2-door?
c) or perhaps she said later.. 'Maybe I should trade my 2-door cutlass for a nice 4-door? :)

:) (Tongue in cheek, but I think we BOTH appreciate the point the other is trying to make).. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm 69 years old and I admit I passed on 2 door tri-fives while searching for my current project (55 4 door 210). Reason was I have a Show truck that I take to Cruisin' the Coast every year and my 2 Grand sons always want to ride with my Wife and me. Obviously no room for that. Hopefully by next October's show I'll be driving to Cruisin' the Coast in my "new" 1955 Sedan with Wife and Grand sons in tow. And no covid 19 to deal with either! Practicality won out for me. I love them all. Steve

·
Registered
370 Posts
“Since you ask, because more doors are for old folks and look like hell. They're good for spare parts for a 2 door car”
This is the mindset that continues to devide the room unnecessarily. I thought this was a website for Trifive owners. All Trifive owners. I thought we left this "my car is cooler than yours" mentality in high school (which for most of you was A LONG time ago).

Four doors are for old people? The members on this forum are OLD! You are old! You guys aren't 20, and this isn't American Graffiti. It's 2020, not 1962, and we're supposed to support the Trifive hobby, not be devisive. Save your venom for the Ford crowd or whomever.
Two doors have a higher resale value. So. Are we not welcomed here? Being an jerk to someone with a less valuable car is petty, childish, and is called punching down.

Frankly I'm disappointed with the moderators for fueling this nonsense.
Moderators, what exactly is your purpose of not to be "moderate"?

You don't like four doors? Or 6 cylinders? Or anything that is outside your comfort zone? Great. Keep it under your hat and contribute something positive.
Lastly, I take a knee for noone. No convertible owner, no Nomad owner, nobody. I have just as much right to be in this free internet board as the next faceless computer jockey.
Where do we go from here.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts