Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

201 - 220 of 269 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Ooooo, I have a good set of questions....

Ford or Chevy, and why not Dodge
BBC or SBC
LS or SBC/BBC
12 bolt or 9", or just get a Dana

Regardless, I am right and you are wrong...lol
LS for the win! Big block power can be made in a small, light package!
9" for the win! Light, strong, easy to work on, and tons of aftermarket support!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love red cars. So do I think everybody that likes some other color is stupid. Heck no I don't. Same thing. What if we all had red 2 door cars. Be pretty boring wouldn't it. At this point I think this thread should be closed. I see nothing to be gained by continuing.
Res
I love red cars. So do I think everybody that likes some other color is stupid. Heck no I don't. Same thing. What if we all had red 2 door cars. Be pretty boring wouldn't it. At this point I think this thread should be closed. I see nothing to be gained by continuing.
Red cars are for losers....therefore...

·
Registered
386 Posts
LS for the win! Big block power can be made in a small, light package!
9" for the win! Light, strong, easy to work on, and tons of aftermarket support!
LS motors are for lame millennials.....and 9 inch rears are for Ford loving commies....what the heck is wrong with you people. Next you'll say fiberglass can be made to make sports cars....

·
Premium Member
12,565 Posts
But wouldn’t closing it be the same as saying that ‘I don’t like this conversation’ and I’m just trying to ignore a fact that some are trying to put forward about it? There’s no correlation between the two but some guys like to offset drill wheels and drive them around to display. Would it be wrong for some to point out the ridiculous of that? If they do is it wrong to present that opinion?

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
The prevailing opinion on this forum (at least per several of you) is that unless one owns a 2-dr trifive, they aren't a 'real enthusiast' and don't belong on this forum. Is that what you 2-dr only guys are saying?
Don't put me in the group who thinks like that. Put me in the group that knows that some cars are always more desirable than others, and everyone has their own opinion. Just like a 1958 Bel Air isn't as coveted after as any of the tri-five Bel Air's, but I'm certain some people love a 58 more and there is nothing wrong with that. And some here like the 56 the best, others like the 57 the best. I think the 57 is more collectable but I love my 55 more. It's all personal opinion and more people like 2 doors than 4 doors. Then there will of course be the different trim models. I happen to have a Bel Air, but if I ever get it finished, I don't plan on installing all of the Bel Air trim because I don't like it. It's too much for me, especially for my "hot rod" look. I may downgrade it to a 210 trim package. To some certain, or every option is important. I feel lucky I have power steering, and the rest I can get by without. Maybe it's just because my car is my first car I ever bought (technically my 2nd 55). I love it better than all the tri-fives! But I'm not not going to tell you that your car sucks. I might say that I like my car better than yours, maybe even more collectable like this thread started as. But I hope I never say that mine is better than yours. If I ever do, I hope someone [email protected]$ slaps me.

·
Premium Member
12,565 Posts
I'm darn curious also?
Ever been to a parade, and saw a car moving up and down as it rolls forward? I’d call it a ‘clown car’, but I’m sure some would get offended and start spitting fire so I won’t.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Since this thread has drifted to rear axles, I'd not even consider a 9" Ford, or a 12 Bolt GM rear axle for any build. Since the 8.8"Ford axles are basically a 12 Bolt with 10 bolt differential cover, but larger 31 spline axles, and a price tag so cheap you can't even buy a decent 9" housing without a differential for!
My vote will always be a 8.8" limited slip in 3.73 or 4.10 ratios, for the paltry $210 price I can buy them at my local Pick N Pull.
9" or 12 bolt will cost more than that for an open differential, and then costs you another $1,000 or more to make it a posi and as strong as the 8.8" Ford is in stock form.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Ever been to a parade, and saw a car moving up and down as it rolls forward? I’d call it a ‘clown car’, but I’m sure some would get offended and start spitting fire so I won’t.
I'd pay to see a bunch of them at once........................................ in a RACE!

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Since this thread has drifted to rear axles, I'd not even consider a 9" Ford, or a 12 Bolt GM rear axle for any build. Since the 8.8"Ford axles are basically a 12 Bolt with 10 bolt differential cover, but larger 31 spline axles, and a price tag so cheap you can't even buy a decent 9" housing without a differential for!
My vote will always be a 8.8" limited slip in 3.73 or 4.10 ratios, for the paltry $210 price I can buy them at my local Pick N Pull.
9" or 12 bolt will cost more than that for an open differential, and then costs you another $1,000 or more to make it a posi and as strong as the 8.8" Ford is in stock form.
Had no idea an 8.8 is that strong, only heard of them going into mild 350 crate engine builds. Is that an 8.8 in your gasser in the pic?

I know I spent too much on my 12 bolt over the years. Mostly due to the jerk ripoff who first built it for me. I had it apart two or three times (used old pinion nut came loose, left bearing spun on the carrier (don't know who or what to blame for that? Twisted his cheap axle with only 400 hp at the engine (hooking, automatic).

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Had no idea an 8.8 is that strong, only heard of them going into mild 350 crate engine builds. Is that an 8.8 in your gasser in the pic?
No, my little Austin gasser has an old Pontiac rear axle in it. A friend had it narrowed by Dutchman's and new Dutchman axles built, but he goofed and got it too narrow for his car. It was perfect for mine, and he sold it to me for less than he had in the narrowing and axles price.
But my current '39 Chev coupe project is a 8.8" Ford, as was my last gasser, a '63 Falcon with a 464 BBC pushing over 500 hp. The axle in my '39 was a spare for the Falcon, in case I ever blew it up. But with many passes at the strip, and wrinkle wall slicks, it just wouldn't give. So when I started the '39 Chev coupe I just used the 8.8" in it. It's way more than my little 350 full roller motor needs at only 400 hp, but that's OK.
The 8.8" Ford actually has the exact same part number for the clutches as the 12 bolt GM axle. Differentials are made in the same factory as the 12 bolt differentials were made in. First one I took apart to narrow was a big surprise to me. I'd swear I was looking at a 12 bolt Chevy under the cover. But those axle shafts are beefier. They're actually turned down on the ends so they can be splined to fit the side gears.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
I LIKE them ALL... but what I notice first when examining one is condition and detail, but I am a little partial to certain models... :)

I've heard that Sanjay is buying up all the 2-doors in India and hoping he can make a profit one day when he sells them... Good Luck to Sanjay!~

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Tony no one wants a 58 Belair except a 4 door loving lame millennial. The Impala that year was available in convertible and 2 ht only and my Dad sold his 56 Belair 2 dr. to get one. The Impala brings big bucks, other models not so much,

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The 8.8 deal sounds interesting but I still don't need one. I have a spare Dana 60s, 9.3 Olds and 12 Bolts in stock, I believe I my biggest bang for the buck with a Dana 60. I would love to hear Sanjays advice on this topic.

201 - 220 of 269 Posts