Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

221 - 240 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Sanjay says the speeds on India's roadways are so slow, that the rear end doesn't matter so long as the pinion engages the ring gear... :)

Sanjay also says that the entire GM design studio must have been high on drugs when they went from the '57 to the '58 (gag) design! (but he says he would never say that on an Impala board!)... :)

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Sanjay says the speeds on India's roadways are so slow, that the rear end doesn't matter so long as the pinion engages the ring gear... :)
I think I missed something with this Sanjay? But the ring and pinion is funny because when I got my car, driving it with open headers, a bare steel floor and an oversized hole for the shifter, I could still hear the rear screaming. Even so, I had done a lot of burnouts and stuff with it. When I finally got serious with fixing up the car and took out the rear, I opened it up and found that the previous owner put 4.11 gears in a 3 series and used the thin gear with no 1/4" spacer. I should have taken pictures of the gears. I guess Sanjay says that's good enough!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,850 Posts
Sanjay says: How the heck did you guys get my original thread question so far off track?? :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
This thread has been very entertaining!
My Official Tri- five desirably index;
1) Convertible
2) 2 door hardtop
3) 2 door sedan
4) 4 door hardtop
5) 4 door sedan
6) 2 door wagon
7) 4 door wagon

I realize I left the Nomad out. I would put it first but my wife would put it last. She thinks they look like a hearse😟

Then we could all start the argument again over which year is best. (55 is best). Or which model? For me I’ma Delray fan!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I would take a 58 Impala over a 57 Belair any day, the engineers really goat screwed the dash and underhood area in 57. The rest of the 58 line up not so hot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The truly fun part about this is that we all have different preferences. Many (perhaps most) have convertibles at the top of their list. My only interest in a vert would be to trade it for a couple of post cars 😜. Or maybe a two door post and a two door wagon 🤔

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I have never liked dropped tops, closest thing I ever owned to one is my 78 Corvette or a 79 Z28 years ago. For a cruiser I like a BA ht, but an hotrod its hard to beat a 150 dr.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
78 Corvettes and 79 Camaros weren't available in convertible form were they? Or are you referring to 'T tops' as being 'close to a drop top'??

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
Looks like good buddy “Sanjay” won this round.

While everybody was waiting for him to return there sure is some interesting side discussions though.

For me converts are too problematic, and 58s...Naa. I still think they’re ugly. The 8.8 rear is becoming more interesting.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Not interested in 8.8s as long as I have plenty of cooler options 12 Bolts, Dana 60s or 9.3 Olds.

Sanjay has indeed won the internet as far as this site goes, reminds me of an old dog who wanders in to a room full of people, silently passes gas and slips out quietly.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As for cars, I dig almost anything with chrome bumpers. What I will bleed to restore (current car has earned me a few stitches), I’m a bit more picky. That said- they are all cool.

As for the great rear end debate- as long as it keeps the tires attached and won’t break...

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Sanjay has indeed won the internet as far as this site goes, reminds me of an old dog who wanders in to a room full of people, silently passes gas and slips out quietly.
LOL!!!....otherwise known as crop dusting.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,160 Posts
Should I lubricate my hood hinges or take the thermostat out so it will run cooler?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Should I lubricate my hood hinges or take the thermostat out so it will run cooler?
Is it true that you should avoid building an exhaust system too large, because an engine runs better when it has some backpressure in the exhaust system? :p

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Sanjay says: "My cars' fenders already have holes"...

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I would take a 58 Impala over a 57 Belair any day, the engineers really goat screwed the dash and underhood area in 57. The rest of the 58 line up not so hot.
You couldn't give me any model of a '58 Chevy. A '57 is a blue chip collectible classic. A '58.......not even close.

221 - 240 of 268 Posts