Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been stripping the paint with air craft stripper for the last couple weeks and I am almost done with the entire exterior. I am not going to be painting this for a while and I will have a shop do it and any body work at that time. I just wanted to get a jump and get all the surface rust off and moving in the right direction. So once I am at all bare metal what do I do next, expoxy priner? I am going to do the roll on process or maybe just have a body shop shoot the primer for me? I am new to all this body work and learning as I go here.

Here is a recent photo of my progress.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Yes! Epoxy primer goes over the bare metal. Just be sure you have it cleaned thoroughly with soap & water and a rub down of wax & silicone remover. Also be sure you have DA sanded it with 80 grit. If you don't have one, get a HVLP paint gun, they are very easy to operate. 50% overlap your primer. If you need filler, it can go over the epoxy primer, but not other types of primer, so epoxy gives you the best "in process" protection and flexibility to keep chipping away at your project. :anim_25:

·
Administrator
70,863 Posts
Yes! Epoxy primer goes over the bare metal. Just be sure you have it cleaned thoroughly with soap & water and a rub down of wax & silicone remover. Also be sure you have DA sanded it with 80 grit. If you don't have one, get a HVLP paint gun, they are very easy to operate. 50% overlap your primer. If you need filler, it can go over the epoxy primer, but not other types of primer, so epoxy gives you the best "in process" protection and flexibility to keep chipping away at your project. :anim_25:
Fiddy covered it, just make sure its covered dont leave it bare.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
keep in mind that at anytime after the 7 day cure you can scuff a panel and apply one coat of epoxy for adhesion and then do your fill work . it's all about adhesion and protection with epoxy .
simply put you are gluing the paint job together .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.