Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Don't think I'd ever use one of those. Not only are they far too expensive, but why would I roll my car over with the motor and trans in it and subject all of the oil to flow to one side. Nope, just as easy and a bunch cheaper to build a rotisserie if it needs to be turned, and normally that's without the drive line so the chassis can be restored at the same time.

Thanks....but no thanks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
Never seen a body on the frame restoration before :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
This was:

Had way, way to much to drink, this was back in 1979 near Roseville CA.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just asked what was the scariest thing you'd ever done with your car, I don't care about your opinion of the tilter.
BUT:
There's a problem with all the oil going to one side ? HUH ? When the engine is running the oils are spashing all over anyway..(of course there isn't any oil IN the motor or tranny right now anyway....)
Restore the chassis with jackstands and floor jacks one end at a time.
I'm installing the plumbing now, and I'm tired of my back hurting all the time.
Um, whoever said I was doing a body-on restoration ?
A rotisserie, is cheaper ?
Sorry I don't have the room some of you guys have, to take the whole car apart and restore it piece by piece, (or the money to ship-can the "used" parts and buy new ones).
It took less than three hours to get the car to where it is now. From sitting on four tires, un-boxing the "tilter", bolting it all up and tilting it over, (and I'd never done it before).
You can't do that with a rotisserie and this takes up way less space.
BUT, it IS the scariest thing I've ever done with a car. And now that I've done it, not so much.
And I've never understood why anyone would put money in a 4 door. a parts car?

Hamsman, you got me there !!
MightyMouse57, ouch !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was racing my 59 caddy down the highway with friends doing 100 miles an hour. The next day i backed it out of the garage and the pitman arm snapped clean in half.
It must have been cracked from previous owners somehow.
Lucky it didnt break while i was going fast.

Attachments

·
Administrator
67,992 Posts
mightymouse57 that must have been some wack, mikev8nut buy a lottery ticket that sure was close, classic gary like the idea your right about the back, I just spent a couple of hours under mine with jack stands not pleasant

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
mightymouse57 that must have been some wack
It sure was, I pushed a parked Mercury Monarch 2 1/2 car lengths, by the way this is the same car I still have (reason why my front end is primered), it was mostly sheet metal that was messed up, missed the frame.

Believe it or not, I drove the car home to Spokane WA. (900 miles) this way, all we did was beat down the hood and whatever else to make it so I could see over it and be somewhat legal.:stupido2:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
here's mine:
You win Gary... The scarriest thing I did with my 56 was to let my then teenage son drive it while I drove his crotch rocket:bike:Later, Dave

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Two things come to mind that at the time it seemed pretty scary but now , not so much.
1) Cutting a 3+ inch hole in my newly painted dash for the AC outlet.
2) Drilling a hole in the water pump of a new ls2 crate motor with a hand drill.
Jim

·
Registered
560 Posts
At my wedding I gave the keys to my Belair to my buddy to bring around to the front of the church for pictures. He came back shortly after and said he couldn't start it.:scared0005: I guess he pumped the gas pedal too much and flooded it, because it started fine for me. :shot:

·
Administrator
49,953 Posts
Well, I just asked what was the scariest thing you'd ever done with your car, I don't care about your opinion of the tilter.
If you don`t want peoples opinions then you shouldn`t post because you`ll get them, they are free.

And I've never understood why anyone would put money in a 4 door. a parts car?
And nobody asked for that opinion either. Not all can have 2 door cars. And i can`t see why anyone would build a gasser either, but that is my opinion.
Terry

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
touche'

·
Registered
129 Posts
Went for a nice summer drive to the top of Guanilla Pass. On the way down the brakes got got hot (doh:scared0012:) and went away. Managed to stop at a pull out and said to my wife, "let's hike around here for a while." Brakes cooled and we made it home safely. That road is steep! I see disc brakes in my future.

·
Registered
280 Posts
scariest thing..........

This was a pretty exciting moment for me...We had that body right upside down at one point. "just a little nervous'''
On another note... My Momma always told me,"if you can,t say anything nice, then don,t say anything at all"
If I wanted to listen to the trash talk, I,d suscribe to the H.A.M.B
As stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if it,s just to trash someone else,s efforts, you are also entitled to keep it to yourself! Let,s keep a positive attitude on this site!

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
well i was i was driving down I-8 going around 85 my steering box went out and launched me of the side of the road , i hit the berm on the side of the road man i felt like the dukes of hazard, well after i changed i was able to take the box apart fix what i thought was the issue and drove the rest of the way home at around 15 mph.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
On another note... My Momma always told me,"if you can,t say anything nice, then don,t say anything at all"
If I wanted to listen to the trash talk, I,d suscribe to the H.A.M.B
As stated, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if it,s just to trash someone else,s efforts, you are also entitled to keep it to yourself! Let,s keep a positive attitude on this site!
Great atitude :tu.....The guys here at TriFive (mysef included) who own and drive 4 doors are just as proud of their rides as anyone else....Its all in the enjoyment of the hobby.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts