Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a 1959 235 in my 1955 wagon, I had to swap out the oil pan, and fabricate some engine mounts. My question is what's the best engine oil to use in these engines. When I opened up the oil pan the inside of the engine looked like it had just been rebuilt, the bottom of the pistons looked new and there was no sludge or gunk in the pan. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Manuel

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
ZDDP

You will received many recommendations. Know this, zinc, once prevalent in motor oils, to protect flat tappet cams and lifter faces, is greatly diminished. I recommend Valvoline VR-1 racing 10W-30 as a replacement.

Many owners choose their favorite oil, and include a quantity of zinc additive with each oil change.

·
Premium Member
13,258 Posts
I have never used straight weight oil in any of my 235's (35 years worth). I have always run multi viscosity detergent, generally 10-30 sometimes 10-40 depending on the age of the motor. As of late I have been using Brad Penn oil for the zinc.

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
You will received many recommendations. Know this, zinc, once prevalent in motor oils, to protect flat tappet cams and lifter faces, is greatly diminished. I recommend Valvoline VR-1 racing 10W-30 as a replacement.

Many owners choose their favorite oil, and include a quantity of zinc additive with each oil change.
Thats what I do with Rotella.....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.