Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to hang this door and something wasn't right. It took a while to figure out what was odd - it has a lot of forward tilt to the window frame.

I don't mean that it gets tight around the A pillar like a lot of people struggle with.
Feels like it is for another car. I've read that many makes, models and years interchange, but this ain't going to fit as is.

What's up with this door, and what are my options to make it fit? I own an angle grinder and a welder if that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this an OEM door from another car, or is it an aftermarket door?
I appears to be an OEM door, and it is from an unknown car.
It has square holes in the door skin for trim. Not sure if that would indicate what it had come from originally.

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Looks bent to me from collision. Also looks like it has a twist. Yes, pic of rear please but not your personal rear

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the gap at the "B" pillar look like?
I'm doing a 2 door conversion, so at the moment the B pillar is lying on the floor LOL. But the B pillar side of the window frame is also leaning forward.
Looks bent to me from collision. Also looks like it has a twist. Yes, pic of rear please but not your personal rear
The door might have a twist. It has an e-coat like primer on it so it might have a new door skin on it. So prior collision damage might be a good explanation...although there's nothing obvious like welding, cracks, etc.

If the door frame does have a twist, is it trash or can it be corrected? And of course, how might I do the straightening?

This is a hot rod, not a show car, so perfect isn't required. But I'd like to get close to perfect and I'd rather cut, chop, bend, and make mistakes on this $300 door since I already own it.

·
Premium Member
15,014 Posts
The only real way to get that door straightened out is to have a vehicle to fit it to. Since you are doing a conversion you do not have a complete door opening to fit it to. You are better off getting another door, Unless you get it right you will likely have issues with window fit & operation as well. Building a door opening around a bent door is never a good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume getting the twist out of a door involves hanging it on the hinges and bending it in the opposite direction. Just manual labor and nothing too fancy?

Another door would be great, I just don't see a lot of them for sale on my local Craigslist so I may have to make do with what I got.
I appreciate all the advice so far and I'm collecting knowledge before I jump back in into the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell this is going to be one of those deals that I'll have to figure out this unique situation and then post so I can share with others. Probably not a typical "problem" people would have to deal with.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you have the 4-door drivers front door and a good front passenger side 2-door door maybe you could cut the A and B pillars from the drivers 4-door door and weld onto the twisted door. Use the passenger 2-door door for all your measurements.
:unsure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have the 4-door drivers front door and a good front passenger side 2-door door maybe you could cut the A and B pillars from the drivers 4-door door and weld onto the twisted door. Use the passenger 2-door door for all your measurements.
:unsure:
That's a great suggestion. I had given that option some thought, but wanted to try the least destructive option first.
I cut the inside of the door and pulled it back "perpendicular." There will be some minor tweaking but it is in much better position now. I can also close the door because it is not hitting the A pillar.
Some times you've just got to work with what you got.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
What Bruce said makes sense. It would be wise to fit an old glass and wing window in before welding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What Bruce said makes sense. It would be wise to fit an old glass and wing window in before welding.
Thanks, it sounds like good logic.
I have wing windows from the "4" door front door, are they the same as a 2 door wing window (that I could swap over)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wing window is the same 2 & 4 door sedan so you can use it.
Wonderful!
Q: I do not have glass for the new door at this time. Could I use a piece of plywood in the dimensions of glass, and insert it into the channels to square things up? I'm assuming the glass is flat, not curved.

Same question above, but if I went with the wing window delete option, anyone know if that replacement glass also flat?

Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts