Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my front half quarter panel from Danchuck's yesterday and took it out to the shop to test fit and inspect the piece before I start making my cuts and I found what appears to be a bump in the sheet metal on the lower half where quarter attaches to the B pillar. Now I know my memory isn't the best and unfortunately there wasn't anyone around today so I couldn't compare apples to apples but when looking at the factory part on the Nomad there is no bump. Is this a flaw in manufacturing or is it me?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Robert, I would have possibly considered a full quarter but it isn't really warranted as the rest of the original quarter is in danged near perfect condition. and the fact that they do not make a full quarter for a 56 Nomad kinda cemented my decision to go with the repair panel.

I expected better from Danchuck and also that is anAmerican made part. So uch for QC inspection and control. Now the fun starts.

I believe the bump is on the sedan and handyman wagon, ?? Since you got the "repair" quarters, it's likely the manufacturer cheaped out, using the original dies for the wagon and changing the wheel opening profile. Hopefully they have it right on the full quarters, which IMO would be an easier install in the long run... I'd change them for the full quarters (if they are the right stamping)

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
... as the rest of the original quarter is in danged near perfect condition. and the fact that they do not make a full quarter for a 56 Nomad kinda cemented my decision to go with the repair panel.
It won't be after the heat from the welding. It will take a lot of finesse planishing to get it right.
You can do it but I agree with MP&C. The full panel would be easier.
Sherman makes them. 728-50L and 728-50R

·
Registered
37,234 Posts
Robert is right, the "bump" is correct for some models.

Nomads have different door jambs than all others. And sedan/regular wagon is different from hardtop.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are gonna love this one

Ok we got a 56 coupe, 210, 150 together at my shop and all are the same as my Nomad in regards to that area in question, can't speak for a wagon as I don't know of anyone who owns a 56 wagon around here. So one guy said without even looking I betcha you bought it from Danchuck's I said yeah. He apparently had the same issue.

So I got in touch with them today and Gene told me well we don't make them we know it’s there we've had this complaint before but like I said we don't make them. It’s still a good usable panel though.
Scratching my head you know it’s there well why not tell your vendor to fix it! Or at least put a note in with the part description so we can make an informed decision... yah think that would be slightly important? Well you can cut around it, o let’s take a brand new piece of sheet metal and have to do work to make it fit, sounds kind stupid to me. We myself included gripe about how the off shore aka Chinese stuff never fits right well this is supposed to be their American made stuff so what’s the excuse. His was I guess the guy stamping them doesn't want to change his dies? Very disappointed to say the least but one thing is for sure. I know where my Danchuck catalog is going right in my Chinese (Walmart) trash can

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Didn't Chevynut put a Sherman quarter on his '56 Nomad? Not sure if it was just one or both.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Ok we got a 56 coupe, 210, 150 together at my shop and all are the same as my Nomad in regards to that area in question, can't speak for a wagon as I don't know of anyone who owns a 56 wagon around here. So one guy said without even looking I betcha you bought it from Danchuck's I said yeah. He apparently had the same issue.

So I got in touch with them today and Gene told me well we don't make them we know it’s there we've had this complaint before but like I said we don't make them. It’s still a good usable panel though.
Scratching my head you know it’s there well why not tell your vendor to fix it! Or at least put a note in with the part description so we can make an informed decision... yah think that would be slightly important? Well you can cut around it, o let’s take a brand new piece of sheet metal and have to do work to make it fit, sounds kind stupid to me. We myself included gripe about how the off shore aka Chinese stuff never fits right well this is supposed to be their American made stuff so what’s the excuse. His was I guess the guy stamping them doesn't want to change his dies? Very disappointed to say the least but one thing is for sure. I know where my Danchuck catalog is going right in my Chinese (Walmart) trash can
Thats Danchuk for you.Do they really care about us?I dont think so!!!

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,149 Posts
The replacement panel you have was made for a hardtop/convertible orginally. Danchuck is just selling what is out there. The bump is the location of the door bumper( you need to add holes) This panel can be used, but you just need to "cut it in" differently.

The first photo is of the wagon/sedan location. The last is the Hardtop/convertible

Mikey

Attachments

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I received my front half quarter panel from Danchuck's yesterday and took it out to the shop to test fit and inspect the piece before I start making my cuts and I found what appears to be a bump in the sheet metal on the lower half where quarter attaches to the B pillar. Now I know my memory isn't the best and unfortunately there wasn't anyone around today so I couldn't compare apples to apples but when looking at the factory part on the Nomad there is no bump. Is this a flaw in manufacturing or is it me?
My 210 2 door post sedan has a bump out about 6 -8 inches above the rocker panel with two small holes for a door bumper rubber.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Just checked my '56 Handyman and it looks like what 55wagoncrazy shows in his photo. Looks like the metal sticks out no more than 1/4 inch and then you add the rubber door stop.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Look at your factory quarter closer and you will see that you need to remove the first two steps from the front edge of the replacement. All you need is the single 90 degree bend at the front edge of the quarter to overlap the jam panel as original. Also, the sharpness of the remaining bend will need to be improved at fthe door to quarter gap. At least that is how it is on my '55 Nomad.

Addendum - Photo below shows original replacement panel passenger side on top and trimmed driver's side on bottom showing the door jam modification. I only used from the bottom to 10" tall though, not replacing more than necessary. Also, there were additional mods made to the panel before it was usable but are outside the scope of your question. This was for a '55 Nomad.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,234 Posts
Problem with trash canning the Danchuk panels is that if you are consistent you trash can all others too. So what do you do then?

The answer is to follow wagoncrazy's advice. This will work on everything but the worst rust buckets or if there's major collision damage.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I received my front half quarter panel from Danchuck's yesterday and took it out to the shop to test fit and inspect the piece before I start making my cuts and I found what appears to be a bump in the sheet metal. ......when looking at the factory part on the Nomad there is no bump. Is this a flaw in manufacturing or is it me?
What's the status of your bump?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The "bump" is not only twice the size of whatthefactory uses to locate the rubber bumper but its in the wrong spot as well. The reason why it appears that the surface where the door bumper attaches appears to be flat is because it almost is. I would say less then 1/3 the size of the one on the Danchuck part. I am cutting a factory quarter or what left of one off this weekend. The guy I purchased my extra Nomad roof from has one thats in perfect shape from about the back half of the wheel opening forward. He alsosaid he was disguted with the quality of after rket sheet metal.

What's the status of your bump?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The "bump" is not only twice the size of whatthefactory uses to locate the rubber bumper but its in the wrong spot as well. The reason why it appears that the surface where the door bumper attaches appears to be flat is because it almost is. I would say less then 1/3 the size of the one on the Danchuck part. I am cutting a factory quarter or what left of one off this weekend. The guy I purchased my extra Nomad roof from has one thats in perfect shape from about the back half of the wheel opening forward. He alsosaid he was disguted with the quality of after rket sheet metal.
That's frustrating B.K.....I hear ya....but I'd still call them up to see what they have to say about it.:anim_25:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
See my initial post, I added some photos. I would assume the '56 quarter is the same as my '55 Nomad at the door jamb in the way it is attached.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's frustrating B.K.....I hear ya....but I'd still call them up to see what they have to say about it.:anim_25:
Whats more frustrating about the parts being made substandard is their lack of concern whenit comes to customer service. "Yeah we've had this complaint before but its a usable part" and thats the way the guy maket. Well if it came ith a big old **** in the box when it arrived at your facility would you accept the fact that someone took a dump on you and didn't care? that was they way the customer serivice guy made me feel First off they were too busy with some big sale to have anyone even take my call for 2 or 3 days then when I was graced with his royal pressence on the phone that how you treat a customer, not in my book

1 - 20 of 20 Posts