Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not asking where or when . Just what was the fastest car you owned and how fast did you drive it, not someone else's Car, Just the ones you have owned and you were the driver.

I can say 2 experiences come to mind, of course years ago.

1. 1970 Grand Pri 120 Plus, blowed an oil ring:)

2. 1970 Super Bee 150 Plus, after 120 it felt like riding on air

Of course I recommend everyone obey the speed limit and be safe.

Otis

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I've driven lots of cars in the triple digits, including a Honda CR-V and a Mazda Miata! Probably the most fun was the Miata with the top down! 105, if the speedo was correct!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Back in 1969 I took my 1968 Z28 Camaro to Summit Point (West Virginia) Raceway and ran their rad course with the Greenbriar Ralley Club. I pegged the Speedo on the straightway and had one heck-of-a-time getting it slowed down to make the next turn. Just about soiled myself!!!! It was so scary, I did it 12 more time around the track!!!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
In my 1964 Dodge going across the newly opened (replacement) San Mateo Bay Bridge I put the speedometer needle past the 120 mark and it then showed up down in the oil pressure gauge.

I had my 1971 911E Porsche at 135MPH on the new I-5 near Red Bluff back in '71.

And...I've had my '02 Camaro up to 110 or so, it can get there in a hurry. 150 I've heard, but not with me driving it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Fastest ride for me was in my '71 Chevelle with a 355 SB and a 2.73 rear gear. Buried that swing speedo WAAYYY past 120 and was still pulling. That poor ol' girl was shaking so bad it felt like it was coming apart. The steering got scary a while after the needle disappeared, so I had to cut it back... :D

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Well i had my learners permit and was driving down a 2 lane farm-to market road, not exactly the safest place to be running 115-120 mph. But at 15 you`re not exactly the smartest one in the crowd. Oh and it was in a 1968 chevelle with a 307/ powerglide.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have waiting for Mikeky55 to post on this one, Mike I am sure you have some stories to tell.

Otis:)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Soild axle 62 Vette, 135PM on a fresh section of I-65, the guy who owned the Vette was in the right seat. At about 130 the car began to float and rock side to side. The guy in the right seat said he would never grab the chicken stick on the dash. He did that night.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Don't know for sure, but the car was a 69 Grand Prix the speedometer needle had gone all the way around and was climbing back up toward the zero. The car had a 400 cubic inch ingine and turbo 400 trans with 2.56 gear ratio in the rear, it would do 115 mph in second gear...

·
Registered
302 Posts
My fastest ride while missing one wheel was in my old 55 chevy 4-door. I was on the Baltimore Beltway doing about 70 around midnight and my right front wheel and drum decided it wanted to go it alone. The right front dropped to the concrete and I rolled the car 3 times down a grass embankment. I did not have a seatbelt so I just rolled with it. It knocked me out and no one found me for an hour or so. A cop found my wheel laying in the middle of the road and he started looking for the car it belonged to. Gotta admit... that was the fastest roll-over for me!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not exactly a car...

I've probably got at least 20 to 30 time slips for 11.3ish in the quarter mile at 120mph (top of fourth gear or mid 5th, it has a six speed trans). I would guess I have run it at 150ish a few times in various places, the speedo read about 160 but you have to figure in 5% optimism. I've never even been close to topping it out, I can't find anyplace long enough with appropriate surroundings. Last December I had it on a race track, but that's not really a high speed thing, more of a drag-your-knee thing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That was way back in 1968. I was on my way home from work (worked the 4 to midnight shift). The car sure saved my life. The roof caved in, the hood and fender tops were crushed and most of the windows were broken but my Dad towed it home and about a week later I started it and drove it too! Try that with a new car these days!!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
When I was a young lad I never had a fast car. I went with fast bikes, always seem to beat my buddies cars. This my last was this one. 147 with radar on a track
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Call me a scaredy cat, but I can't imagine going 147 on a bike! :eek:

That roll over on the beltway sounds pretty scary -- seems like even a 'reasonable' speed can be dangerous -- you never know what your equipment is going to do!

Of course, that doesn't stop us from going fast, does it! I remember doing 110 in my dad's 67 Buick Le Sabre convertible and thinking nothing of it!

·
Registered
302 Posts
It wasn't too long after my 55 chevy rollover episode that I bought a 68 Z28 Camaro. That thing was fast right from the showroom floor. I was on my way home from work on the baltimore beltway again, just after midnight and no one on the road but me and the salt trucks .. it was sleeting and the road was a solid sheet of ice. I wasn't going very fast but I hit the exit ramp and I started sliding so I did a really DUMB thing... I downshifted the M21 muncie... had no idea I was in for a wild ride by just downshifting and letting out the clutch... All I could do was hold on to the steering wheel as I had totally lost control of the car. I remember spinning around at least 4 times (we called them Donuts back then) and rolled right off the road and straight up a dirt embankment. Scared the crap outta me. After catching by breath, I slowly put it into reverse and rolled back down the slush-filled hill and back onto the shoulder. I got out and checked the car and it looked fine considering what it had just been thru. I slowly pulled it back on the highway, babied home and had bad dreams about what could have happened. I learned a valuable lesson that day. NEVER NEVER NEVER downshift on ice... the back end just comes flying around and passes you!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've got one more and it's about the 68 Z28 Camaro.... but that one will take a photo to go with it... it involves the Z28, a 55 MPH launch over a blind hill, a dog in the middle of the road and a 14 inch thick power pole...... I'll find the photos... I did some STUPID things when I was a kid...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts