Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about installing Intro Twisted Blade wheel on a 1956 Chevy with stock suspension, lowered 4” front and 3” back. Front wheel size of 19”x8” with 235/50R19 tires and rear wheel size of 20”x10” with 275/45R20 tires.

Any thoughts or opinions?

How much offset would I need?

I want the front and rear wheels and tires to sit on the inside of the fenders about the same distance. Would I have any problems with the tires rubbing on the inside or outsides? How about with passengers in the back seat?

·
12,256 Posts
Curious how you got 4" of suspension drop in front with a stock suspension. Seems like you're going to run out of suspension travel.

The wheel offsets would be the same whether you use a 15" wheel or a 20" wheel. It's the tire that takes up the room, not the wheel.

With a stock suspension and rearend with no minitubs and springs in the stock location, you can get a 275 tire in the rear using a zero to 1/4" offset wheel. However, I think a 10" wheel is a bit too wide for a 275 tire. I don't see why passengers in the rear would make a difference because tires typically don't rub on the wheelwell extensions. Your wheelwell lips are already going to be over the widest part of the tire. Keep in mind that a 275 tire BARELY fits and your body has to be centered on the frame, and the suspension centered in the frame. It won't be easy to install and remove the wheels and tires either.

In the front, you will want to keep the outside of the front tires at about 67.5" or less in width. The stock front suspension with drum brakes is about 59.25" wide. A 235 tire is 9.25" wide. With a zero offset wheel you'd have tires 68.5" wide outside. So you need to lose at least 1" total width or 1/2" per side by using 1/2" offset wheels (5" backspacing on an 8" wheel). I'm not sure, but it's possible that a 235 tire with a 5" backspaced wheel will rub on the frame at full lock.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I be safer with front wheel size of 19”x8” with 225/50R19 tires. Rear wheel size of 20”x8” with 255/45R20?

Drop spindles and springs should get me close to about 4" lower in the front.

·
12,256 Posts
Would I be safer with front wheel size of 19”x8” with 225/50R19 tires. Rear wheel size of 20”x8” with 255/45R20?
A narrower tire is always "safer". But IMO an 8" wheel is too wide for a 225 tire. That would make the wheel wider than the tire. A 275 will fit in the rear like I said....A 255 fits easier.....A 245 fits even easier.... ;) Why not use the 275 if that's what you want? I'd go with a 9" or 9.5" wheel with it.

Drop spindles and springs should get me close to about 4" lower in the front.
I thought you said stock suspension :confused:. Dropped spindles MIGHT move your wheels outboard up to 1/2" per side. I'd pick the spindles and brake kit before you decide on wheels for the front.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
But IMO an 8" wheel is too wide for a 225 tire. That would make the wheel wider than the tire.
I don't understand your statement.
225 mm is greater than 8 in. ?
Jim

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Some tire manufacturers list recommended rim widths. I think you'll find that a 225 tire won't be recommended for an 8" rim on any recommendations.

Having said that, I have seen a 225/50/17 on an 8" rim with 5.25" backspacing on the front of a 57. It worked OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts