Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a simple switchover from the original front wheel bearing to later
sealed bearings?

·
Registered
36,133 Posts
The switchover that is common is NOT to sealed bearings. It's a switch from ball bearings to roller bearings.

You need hubs from a 61-68 full size Chevy. Use the bearings and grease seals for the 61-68. It's a direct replacement for the hubs and bearings you now have. The bearings are much cheaper to buy, but last longer.

But you still have the original drum brakes with this deal.

The late models with sealed bearings include a spindle and hub as part of the service package. Cost is relatively astronomical and there's no direct way to do this on a 55-57. Probably no real performance benefit to you anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Rick

good info. I'll have to decide
1. stay stock
2. go 61/68
3 go to new (pdb, ps, etc...)

thanks again fo the info:)

·
Registered
66,315 Posts
eckler's sells a kit too. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Front Roller Bearings

I recently picked up a set of hubs from a '63 on eBay for $35.00. Surprisingly, the grease seals (from NAPA) were about $15.00 each, which was more than the bearings. The only associated parts you can use from your Tri-5 are the axle nuts. You'll need to use the washer and grease caps from the '60's hubs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Watch out for the kits that the the suppliers sell. Most will be off shore bearings. I prefer name brands, even though they are made overseas, I think that they are better quality.

Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're absolutely right, Tom. I just bought two new U-joints for my '57 from NAPA, and guess where they were made? China! I've always considered NAPA parts to overall be of above-average quality; hopefully these maintain NAPA's previous standards.

Maybe in ten years or so I'll trust the quality of Chinese metals, but not yet.

·
Registered
36,133 Posts
Look on the bearing to see if the brand name is marked on it. If there is one, and you've heard of it, you may have a chance. Otherwise beware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts