Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my trifive last year. I got a car in need of fix-up to learn. It has original bench interior, original steering wheel, original dash and AM radio (just to give you an idea of what I was looking for). Ididit with column shift (didn't want floor). I have 15x7 in front and 15x 8 in back with rallye wheels with derby caps. I wanted to clean up a bit so painted the rallye and got new beauty rings. The issue is that the new beauty rings in front are moving while I drive and cutting into the valve. Yup, I know, this is not good. I tried moving right to left rings. They are very, very difficult to put into the wheel with a very tight fit.
This is my question....
1) does anyone have any experience with this problem.

But...... more important. I am not married to the rallye wheels. They are old. I would definitely consider upgrading to new wheels. I want to keep my new BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on all four. So, I would be looking for the same size. I like the size.... I don't want 22in. I am overwhelmed with all of the options for wheel choices. Can someone please lead me to a good recommendation. I am looking for a lower cost, but definitely NOT cheap quality. Just not needing a super high end wheel. My car is not a show car. I like the look of the 5 spoke. If you think this is a lame request, then don't respond! I get it...... but I know many people on this site have more experience than me and I'm hoping to get a good idea of a wheel to consider in the near future. Also, I have disc in front and drum in back.
thanks,
J

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
silicone

If you apply silicone on the clips of the beauty ring and install while wet, it will dry and wont move. 5spoke americans always look good.
A'right........ I like this advice. I asked at our local Big O Tires and he said this would not be a good idea. But I don't care if I ruin the wheels, just want it to look good and be safe.
What is your recommendation...... I'm thinking it would be easier and better seal if I get a tube of silicone and paste the wheels around the edge instead of the clips because the clips may not take the silicone well. Also, would you think any clear silicone would be fine?
thanks again for the feedback.
j

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could install a set of chrome steel valve stems. You won't have to worry about the beauty rings cutting those.
good point.
i asked the guy at Big O tires about that option.
he said that the rings won't cut the valves, but instead will pull the valve and pull at the inside part of the valve stem and cause a leak from that spot.
what do you think? That's why I'm leaning toward caking the silicone.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
good point.
i asked the guy at Big O tires about that option.
he said that the rings won't cut the valves, but instead will pull the valve and pull at the inside part of the valve stem and cause a leak from that spot.
what do you think? That's why I'm leaning toward caking the silicone.
I think you need to talk to someone else other than the guy at Big O tires.
The valve will not leak at the inside by pulling from a trim.
The time it takes for that to happen would be the life of the usable tyre.
If you put the steel valves in and keep an eye on the trims, preposition as needed i feel you will have no issues.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think you need to talk to someone else other than the guy at Big O tires.
The valve will not leak at the inside by pulling from a trim.
The time it takes for that to happen would be the life of the usable tyre.
If you put the steel valves in and keep an eye on the trims, preposition as needed i feel you will have no issues.
What about starting with putting silicone on the inside of the beauty rings?
the main problem is slipping of the rings, if I can keep them from moving then there will not be a problem with the valve.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.