Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first post to a great site! I have no idea what I'm doing but I figured I'd try anyway. My 10 year old son found this 57 Chevy 3600 3/4 ton truck and we ended up buying it. Of course now after the initial joy of getting it home, now comes the fun part of actually making it safe to drive and all that. First on the list is new brake shoes, hoses and wheel cylinders. I'm ready to remove the cylinder but the anchor bolt is in the way and the hub is also. Can the anchor bolt be removed or do I need to remove the hub? Can you tell I'm a rookie :)

Also I would never dream of a first post without pics:

Can I loosen this bolt to remove the anchor bolt? Thanks!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Welcome! You and I have the same series 1957 3600! Thanks for joining! I have not worked on my breaks yet only the carb. You have a great Truck!!!
Keep posting pics and info.

Dan

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Welcome and thats a fine looking truck.. I have not worked on truck brakes but it appears you have to remove that anchor pin which holds the wheel cylinder to the backing plate. On the back side of the plate you can see the circled nut in your picture. Usually there is a flat washer behind this nut which should have one of the edges of the washer peened over to prevent loosening from vibration. Soak this area with penetrating oil, flatten the peened washer and you should be able to remove the nut and pin. I don't think you have to remove the hub.
Good Luck!!
ken 57

P.S. Don't forget to use a new flat washer and make sure you peen it over.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Would there be two seven sixteenths bolts on the back side of that backing plate ? It looks like the same assembly design as the cars. Take a wrench and break loose that brake line, before you try to take that cylinder off. Then take the two bolts out if they exist.
And BTW: Nice looking truck you have there. Keep us posted on how it's going.

·
Registered
66,285 Posts
:hello: hi ebb and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. congrats and have fun with that cool truck. sounds like a great son and he will be having some fun with dad. :party0031: some penetrating oil on that bolt should help. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
There should be a bolt on each side of the bleeder holding the wheel cylinder on, after taking them out you might still need a light tap from a hammer to get the cylinder off...
If there is not enough room to get it out you can take the anchor pin out or pull the hub off...
You're probably going to pull the hub, repack the bearings, and install a new inner bearing seal anyway...

1951-1969 Chevy/GMC Truck Front Brake Wheel Cylinder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the awesome replies! D.S. was right, off with the hub. It was a bear getting the brake hose off where it meets the frame! This truck started out as a Public Works truck in Santa Cruz, CA (hence the orange color). It then somehow made it's way to Western WA. Seems to be in decent shape although the cab corners are toast. It did come with replacement corners though. Rust in all the usual places I guess. I can't believe I drove it to work a few times after looking at the brakes...Yikes!

Yes my son likes vintage things, although he really wanted a Ford, but we won't hold that against him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got one side done! Thank goodness for spring pullers!

Now it's off to the other side, bleed em and see if they work. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts