Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on what wheel/tire combo is best for the Big Brake Kit?

Not installed yet and want to have the wheels ready at time of install.

1955 2 door Sedan
CPP 2" dropped spindles, Tubular upper control arms and 13" Big Brakes

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
17" Billet Specialties here.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Welcome abord Brodie! Most 17" wheels should clear. What exact kit do you have? Wilwood? If so, they have templates to view for clearance issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have CPP's Big Brake Kit that uses the Chevy truck dual piston calipers. What depth of back spacing are you guys using?

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
A good rule of thumb is that the wheel diameter needs to be 4" bigger than the rotor diameter.

15" wheels clear the 11" Chevelle rotors that many of us use.
16" wheels clear 12" rotors
17" wheels clear 13" rotors, etc.

There are exceptions. Stock Chevy 14" Rally wheels that are made for disc brakes will clear the 11" rotors. Stock Corvette 15" Rally wheels clear the 12" rotors on C3 Corvettes. These rims have a specific shape on the backside diameter to clear.

I'm sure there are situations the other direction too. That's why the aftermarket caliper people have the templates.

Another aspect of aftermarket calipers and wheels is the thickness of the wheel mounting pad on the wheel. Again, this is where the templates come into play. This is not a diameter issue, but a side-to-side fit issue with the shape/thickness of the caliper vs. the shape of the backside of the wheel.

If you're ordering billet wheels, the wheel mfr can be helpful with this stuff too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just heard from Aaron from CPP via email and he used 17x7 with 4" BS with the same setup on a 57.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just joined and just finished first phase of my project. Bought most of my parts from Aaron. Used the same stuff your using, CPP arms, 2" drop, 13" front, 12" rear, 500 box, narrowed Moser 9" rearend, etc. I went with 17x7 x 4 1/2 BS Budniks. Tires are 225x50's. In fact I almost ordered 4 3/4 BS but wanted as much lip as possible. I like the fit at the fender and really wouldn't mind the fit had I gone with 4 3/4". I also used 1" lowering springs so personally I wouldn't want the tire any closer to the fender than it came out with the ride height I chose.

Also be careful where you specify your wheel vendor to drill holes for the stems. I didn't specify and the fronts were placed where the rotors would hit them. Budnik took them right back and relocated them and are now great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ran into a glitch....the incorrect spindles came with my CPP setup...turns out that the Heidt's Spindles they used long ago (which they no longer use) were for another car and not the 55...had an issue getting the balljoints to fit the holes.

Had some run-around getting the spindles corrected, which in the end turned out (I'm hoping, as they are still not on the car....) CPP directed me to Heid't to try and get the issue resolved, which was their supplier error at the time, so not sure why I had to get involved to fix their mistake...but anyway, Heidt's was AWESOME and took the old ones back and shipped me the new ones. Only problem was they shipped them to the address where I live, not where the car is...1700 miles apart, so on the next trip back I'll have to get back into it.

Either way, back to the topic of the thread. I went with 17X7 with 4.25BS Billet Specialties for the front and a 225/45R17 BFG KDW2 tire...all mocked up it looked perfect....I'll find out next trip home after i wrench it all together.

I'm considering the big brake kit for the rear, but still have the stock rear axle...so i think i may wait until i figure out what rear end will go in the car before messing with the brakes. I'm thinkinga 17X8 with 4.5BS and 255/50R17....anybody run that tire/wheel on the stock rear end? It does have the lips rolled up already for clearance.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can run the brakes on the stock rear and when and if you change to a 10/12 bolt or 9" all the difference is the caliper brackets themselves. The rear kit increases the track width 1/8" per side so I would say a 245/50 would be about it for tire on the back. When I built my 57' I had a 9" ford in it narrowed 1" per side so i had a bit more room.

·
Registered
34 Posts
CPP Big Brake Kit

Good Morning,

I too purchase the CPP big brake Kit. I ran into problems both front and rear. I found out that the rear end in by '56 was a '67 Camaro, 10 bolt. Hence the rotor bracket would not fit and had to be modified. Since I purchased 18x9 Foose Monterey's for the back, with a 4 3/4 bs, and because the Camaro rear end is narrower, I had to use a 1 1/4 inch adapter. So then, I had to get longer wheel studs.

The fronts were another problem. The literature that CPP has for it's big brake kit says that the minimum size wheel is 17 inches, so I purchased the Monterey's in a 17x7 with 4 inch bs, I believe. When I proceeded to place the wheel on the studs, viola, they wouldn't clear the caliper. So, I called CPP and talked with them about it. Well the response I got from the person manning the lines was, "Well, I guess you will just have to buy new wheels".
I certainly didn't need to hear this from some smarta##, so I hung up and finally figured out that I could go with a 1/4 inch spacer and longer wheel studs in the front. Hence the wheels are outside the caliper. Fortunately I have 205x50s, so I don't hit the fender.

From the sound of many forum posts, many posters have had problems with Tri-Five suppliers. I guess it is the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
You don't see it for the most part except on the high end stuff, but most of the custom caliper companies will give you some sort of diagram to be used for wheel fitment. The better billet wheel companies do that too and will help you if they know. For instance, Budnik offers thick wheel mounting pads that move the spokes, etc. away from the hub/caliper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got around to getting the spindles and everthing put on. I used 17x7 Billet Specialites with 4.25" backspacing on the front with a 225/45R17 tire....worked out perfect! Haven't got it to the alignment shop yet, but everything appears to turn with no clearance problems and fender clearance looks to be ok...!

Need to hook up the 8" dual booster and master cylinder soon, so far so good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts