Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of mini-tubbing my '55 this fall where its gonna be a fairly cheap thing to do.I am gonna lay out lines in the trunk and move the existing wheel tubs in board and use a filler strip to fill the void.I am gonna talk to my boss at work about using the plasma cutter to do it and finish it up at home.I will definatly drop the fuel tank out and the rear seat to do it safely.Do you guys have any suggestions from past experiences doing this.I have seen it done on here in older posts.Thanks for any/all info.
GREG

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dukeofbluz has a really good line of pictures showing how he did it. I copied his procedure and it turned out nice. One tip he gave me was to work in 6 to 8 inch strips when filling back in and make templates out of posterboard as you go. It's more welding and grinding than doing it with larger pieces, but I had little experience with a job like this and the small pieces made fitting easier for me.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Hi Greg, use the forum search feature at the top for "minitub" and you will get a step by step of a few peoples install ..including mine last winter under 57 winter projects:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here, and the pictures posted by Dukeofbluz pretty much show how our car was done as well. Of course we had to shorten the rear end and move the springs over to fit the Hoosier 50 series under it but in the end the integrity of the car was not comprimised and it turned out great.

Go for it!! Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh, yea, buy the way, we also had to remove the spare tire tub and put in a filler panel at that time. At least for us, there was no way to leave it and still tub the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts