Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOOD AFTERNNON GENTS,
I AM FINISING UP MY MINI-TUB ON MY 55 2DR POST. I CUT OUT THE STOCK WHEEL WELLS AND PUT A 4 INCH PIECE DOWN THE MIDDLE, I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WELDING IN THE NEW PIECES THOUGH , ALL THE METAL HAS BEEN GROUND PROPERLY THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS WHEN I STRIKE THE ARC I BLOW A HOLE IN THE METAL. NOW I AM USING 023 WIRE A MIX ON THE GAS END , THE ONLY THING I AM WONDERING IS IF CAUSE I AM NOT USING THE SAME GUAGE METAL THIS IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. I AM USEING METAL I CUT OUT O F BRAND NEW CRASHED BODY PARTS , THEY ARE REAL CLOSE IN GUAGE SIZE. IS THERE ANY PLACE I CAN BUY A METAL GUAGE THICKNESS TOOL?

THANKS
JOHN

OH I AM TRYING TO BUTT WELD ALL THESE PIECES

·
12,256 Posts
Turn down the voltage and try making a series of spot welds as you go. You can't make a continuous bead. Hit the trigger, then let it cool a couple seconds, and move over and hit it again. Repeat. ;)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you have done any cleanup on the original metal it is probably a little thinner than it use to be, joining new metal and older metal can be a challenge.

Laz is right, you have to stitch it, giving it time to cool a few seconds in between arcs. It actually works very well this way.

Good luck.

Gil

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
No mention of how the metal fits. If you have big gaps, blowthrough is more likely to happen. All is not lost, the stiching method works well here too. A copper backup bar can also help. I made a very simple one from 1/2" copper tube, about 8"-10" long. Mash half of the length flat in a vise. Hammer it closed and flat if needed. Make a 45 degree bend at the end of the flat. The remaining round part makes a nice handle. The backup bar is good for gaps, as well as welding medium size holes. The backside won't have goobers, or at least big ones, when you use the bar. The bar will get sooted up with use. Clean it up with a wire wheel or sanding disc every once in a while, you don't have to do this very often.

If you haven't made your metal filler strip yet (this is for the rest of you) - it's impossible to make a straight cut on the tub when you cut it to separate. Make your cut, make the cuts to move the inside half of the tub over, then tack the inside in place. Take a piece of poster board and tape it over the gap. Then on the other side, mark the cut you need to make. Then transfer the template you just made to sheet metal. It fits a lot better than just cutting a strip to the width you intended to use, should be no gaps at least small ones. I made my strips in 3 pieces, a lot easier to manage. Just butt weld the ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts