Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheels size with narrowed reared without minitubs

I currently have a '56 stock rear-end width with stock wheel wells (no-minitubs), but have a Ridetech 4-link and 20x8.5 wheel with 275/35/20 tires. I will be rehooping my rear billet wheels to increase the rear wheel width to 20x10 wheels. I'm also going to narrow my rear-end to have maximum wheel depth/widest outside lip.

I'm thinking of getting the 20x10 wheels first and narrowing the rear-end after I have the 275/35/20 tires mounted in the 20x10 wheels.

1. Has anyone here handled measuring rear-end width this way? Any drawbacks?

2. Any issues with a 10" wide wheel rubbing with stock wheel wells and 4-link?

3. What has been the minimum amount of wheel backspace for max outside wheel lip anyone has been able to achieve on a 10" wheel with stock wheel wells (no-minitubs) and 4-link? Would as little as 2" backspace or less work?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You are going to want the wheels and tires on hand. Measuring to the actual wheels is the only way I will do a narrowing job.
Get the tires and wheels and then set them up, centered in the wheel wells. Measure from mounting face to mounting face. That is your total rear end width over the brake drum or rotor.
I wouldn't go less then 4" for back spacing. The farther out the wheel hangs from the bearing the greater the side load it puts into the bearing. I would rather see you go with a 5 1/2" back space which centers the rim and reduces side loading of the bearing.
Mark

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are going to want the wheels and tires on hand. Measuring to the actual wheels is the only way I will do a narrowing job.
Get the tires and wheels and then set them up, centered in the wheel wells. Measure from mounting face to mounting face. That is your total rear end width over the brake drum or rotor.
I wouldn't go less then 4" for back spacing. The farther out the wheel hangs from the bearing the greater the side load it puts into the bearing. I would rather see you go with a 5 1/2" back space which centers the rim and reduces side loading of the bearing.
Mark
Thanks for the feedback Mark. Sounds like a 275/35/20 on a 10" wheel should be no problem fitting, huh?

Anyone else here agree that I should not go with less than 4" backspace?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just purchased Torque Thrust "D"s 15 x 10 x 3.750 back spacing and 29 x 12.50 x 15 Hoosier Pro Street Radials for the back of my 56 BelAir. I'm not concerned about any load that may compromise bearing. I'm using a FORD 9" with Large bearing housing ends. You'll be fine at 4". MB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts