Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

at what age did you become a tri-five fan?

• under 10 years old

Votes: 154 25.2%
  • 10-15 years old

Votes: 235 38.5%
  • 16-20 years old

Votes: 146 23.9%
  • 21-25 years old

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • 26-30 years old

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 31-40 years old

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • 41-50 years old

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • 51-60 years old

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • over 60 years old

Votes: 21 3.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so we've been talking about how old we are - who's young, and who's not so young. Some people would prefer not to admit to that number.

So, here's different topic: how old were you when tri-fives first caught your attention? Maybe you weren't old enough to think of owning one, but there was that SOMETHING about them that just captivated you.

I'll start off with one that may be tough to beat:

When I was born, my grandfather brought all of us home from the hospital in his '55 Bel Air.

Five years later, I heard my grandfather and my parents talking in the kitchen about new cars. Seems my grandfather wanted to trade in that '55 in on a brand-new '62 Bel Air.

I pitched a fit.

I can still remember standing on the sidewalk by my grandparents' house (they had to park on the street - no driveway), and my parents showing me the car, and getting my "approval" on that shiny new '62 Bel Air.

Ten years later, that '62 would be the first car I ever worked on. I read up on adjusting brakes and replacing shock absorbers, and did both jobs unassisted.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
My first recollection of a trifive was 1963 when i was 14. I saw a 1956 Nomad in Sierra Gold parked in front of the junior high.I thought that was the most beautiful car i had ever seen with all the chrome.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I started building models of Trifives when I was 7 or 8? The Nomad was the one I remember most. Then when I turned 17 (1967) I bought my first. A 57 210 two door sedan. Six cylinder stick. It was a rose color and white. Had it about a year and during that time I repainted it red and put a used 283 in it. I can remember clearly driving down the street looking out over the hood at the rockets in the hood. Excellent memory.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the day i was born . dad had his before that (56 belair 4 dr sedan was his first car), mom was taken to the hospital in a 56 150 wagon to deliver me , ( btw i recenty located that car its still in town and might be for sale !!) grew up around them my whole life . i had no chioce:sign0020:

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Ok
Remember being 4 or 5 going to the beach in a 56 4 door and sleeping in back seat. When I was 6, will Never forget look on dads face when as he was try to get a good trade on 56, I point out to him and salesman that 56 was leaking oil.
When I was 12 and I started working on cars that Dad bought to fix up and sale.
Neighbor drove 55 150 for years, I have that 55 150 today.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,848 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ridin' in my grandfathers '57 when I was a Little Shaver. Actually was one of my first memories.

·
Premium Member
50,788 Posts
At age 12 when I saw one on the showroom floor...I told my Dad that one day I would own one. :tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
689 Posts
Same as MikeKy55 above, I can remember building that black '55 model with flames and clear hood scoop - had several of those models at age 8-9 years old. When I turned 12 we had a neighbor out in the Big Spring, Texas area who had a pretty bad to the bone '55 drag car, gasser style. It was painted metallic brown and the name was stenciled down the side in gold lettering "Brown Sugar". The car had a fiberglass flip front clip and a 454 stuffed in it, man this car was a complete racer and was always on the trailer to go to the strip. Every time he fired that thing up I was huffing the bicycle over to his place just to hear that sweet sound of open headers :) Just knew one day I would have one too. That was in 1982, however, I didn't pursue this until 2006 when I found my current and only one. It took me 2 solid years to get the guy to make a deal with me in 2009.

I often wonder what ever happened to "Brown Sugar"?

·
Registered
19,595 Posts

In 1955 my Uncle bought his daughter a brand new 55 Belair vert for a graduation present... It was turquoise and white and came with a six and a glide... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
We used to visit my Great Aunt often when I was young. About the age of 6 is when I first spotted her 55 in the garage. Many times when we would visit after I first noticed the car, I would go to the garage and sit in it while my family was in the house or the yard. When I turned 18, she called me and told me if I wanted the car, I should bring over some plates and "get it out of the garage." I still have it. It will be with me 40 years on Aug. 21 this year.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I was 3 when dad bought his new 55 210. 6 popper with3 sp and OD.
Been told I always called it a red humdinger, and I do remember that. But I
was hooked although it would be 25 more years before I owned my "own".
My first was a 57 Belair, but the one I've owned longest (and still) is this 55.
May 11th 2012 will be 30 years.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thats the best acquisition story I have heard in a long time. My aunt and uncle bought a new 1957 sport sedan in 57 and that got me started, I was 11 at the time. It would be another 6 years before I had my 1st Tri5, a 57 210 2 door post. Dave

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I probably would have been a fan younger except the were no tri fives then, so I put 10 - 15
Jim

·
Registered
66,005 Posts
high school ( 1960's), all the cool kids had one. :tu

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I had the models too!
At some time before I was 10,I was hanging out at Mr.Fortenberry's down the street.He let us help him restore old army jeeps.
The guys next door were trying to start a 55 Chevy and needed another person to help.I ended up sitting on the fender and turning the distributor while it was being pushed down the street.No hood on it.
Then,my aunt and uncle bought a new 56,4 door sedan.She had the car well up into the 80's,until the oak tree she parked under fell on it.No more 56!
I bought my first 57,4 door sedan( green with white top)when I was 12 for $50.00.
I have 4,57's now from driver to junk.
I have owned the 4 door hardtop for 33 years now.
Mike.:):bowtieb:
:gba:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Back in the late fiftys I would sit on the front porch with my Mom and name every car that went by our busy street. The 57 belair was one of my favorites!:bowtieb: Frank :flag6:

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
My first recollection of a trifive was 1963 when i was 14. I saw a 1956 Nomad in Sierra Gold parked in front of the junior high.I thought that was the most beautiful car i had ever seen with all the chrome.
At the time of my Birth my father had just sold his 54 Chev and it took a full year for him to miss it so he bought a 1960 BelAir to replace it. I had growen up around that 60 for the next 8 years. I then found my fathers stash of old hotrod mags and on the front page of a Chevy mag was a picture of an original 57 black NOMAD. I was in love from the age 8. But it was only on paper. Over the years I had aquired many other itmes that were TriFive based so it was enevitable that it would all lead to me owning one in the flesh. :tu:tu:tu

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My Grandmother lived with us. In 1962 when I was 5 her ultra cool 1935 Terraplane died and Dad found her a 56 210 2 dr to replace it. I too k interest in the car a couple years later and began fixing rust and learning how to work on cars by the time I was 12. That 56 is still around and restored, but he won't sell it to me.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts