Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for winter storage.
Should I change the oil before I put the car away for winter or
wait untill spring and let the oil drain for a day or two , install the fresh stuff then start her up.
Thanks.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I always wait til spring. I figure if there is condensation better to get rid of it in the spring with fresh oil. not sure if it's the best way but seems to work for me.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I always wait til spring. I figure if there is condensation better to get rid of it in the spring with fresh oil. not sure if it's the best way but seems to work for me.
I must be doing it all wrong... I just changed mine Thursday for it's long Winters nap:dontknow: Later, Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wait a minute, you're supposed to change the oil:scared0012:. I agree, it makes more sense to do it in the spring.:congrats::cool0010:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I always heard and believed you should change the oil before it sits for the winter, there is acidic stuff in the oil that can be corrosive to your engine while it sits, plus it will be all ready to go in the spring.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,494 Posts
I agree with mighty mouse but I change it in the spring as well de to the amount of cruising I do . :bowtier:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I've always started out in the spring with fresh oil. I've heard the acidic thing and sitting, but hey, it's in a lubricant.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think we all get carried away with oil changes. As long as there is oil in the motor and you crank it over a few times during your down time, it should be good to go. I have changed my own oil since I got my first car in 1963 every 2000 miles and never had a problem witha motor.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I always heard and believed you should change the oil before it sits for the winter, there is acidic stuff in the oil that can be corrosive to your engine while it sits, plus it will be all ready to go in the spring.
This is the correct way to go. Ask any boat owner who stores them or their cars for the winter. You really don't want to put your car away with dirty oil and in the spring dry start it with that same oil.
Alan

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I hear its gonna be in the 60s this week.
There is still good weather to go cruzin in the midwest.
As I type this it is 66 degrees... The weather IS good for cruzin however my gas tank is full of Stabil treated gasoline and the crank case is full of fresh 10-40 Valvoline that I'm saving for Spring/Summer... Later, Dave

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Guys,:)
I went for ride in the 56 today.
We had nice weather for november.
I saw a few classics out driving also a lot of bikers
enjoying the day.
I got back about an hour or so and thought I'd check in at trifive.
Thanks for all the replys.
Well it looks about 50/50 regarding when to change the oil.
WOW I'm a bit suprisied. I thought it would lopsided one way or another.
Oh well I guess new oil is a good thing either way you look at it.
Keep your posts comming as I always look forward hearing from you guys.
Thanks .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts