Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS THE PART OF ME I WISH I DIDN'T HAVE.I HAVE FORGOT AND NOW I AM QUESTIONING MYSELF ON THE INSTALL OF THE TIMING CHAIN AND GEARS.I JUST DON'T REMEMBER IF I INSTALLED IT CORRECTLY.SO MY QUESTION IS TO VERIFY BY LOOKING AT THE VALVES.WHEN #1 CYLINDER IS AT TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE, WHERE SHOULD THE VALVES BE ON # 6 CYLINDER. THIS SHOULD TELL ME IF I INSTALLED THE TIMING SET CORRECTLY, IS THAT CORRECT?OR WHAT OTHER VALVES SHOULD I LOOK AT TO VERIFY?
I'M CHANGING MY NAME TO, CAN'T REMEMBER.
THANKS GUY'S YOU CAN LAUGH IF YOU WANT TO.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Crank engine until mark on harmonic balancer lines up with center or '0' on the timing tab with the engine in the number 1 firing position. This may be determined by placing fingers on the number 1 cylinder valves as the mark on the balancer comes near the "0" mark. If the valves are not moving , the engine is in the number 1 firing position. If the valves move as the mark comes up, the engine is in the number 6 firing position and should be turned over one more time to reach the number 1 firing position. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crank engine until mark on harmonic balancer lines up with center or '0' on the timing tab with the engine in the number 1 firing position. This may be determined by placing fingers on the number 1 cylinder valves as the mark on the balancer comes near the "0" mark. If the valves are not moving , the engine is in the number 1 firing position. If the valves move as the mark comes up, the engine is in the number 6 firing position and should be turned over one more time to reach the number 1 firing position. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:
THANKS FOR THE REPLY,BUT.

WHAT I'M ASKING IS WITH #1 A TDC ON COMPRESSION STROKE WHERE SHOULD THE VALVES BE ON #6?

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
With #1 at TDC on the beginning of the power stroke, on #6 the exhaust valve should be just closing and the intake valve should be just opening. In other words they should be just barely open. It's also what's called "valve overlap".

If you had a camshaft grind that had the same duration and lift on both intake and exhaust, and if the camshaft is installed "straight up", i.e., neither advanced or retarded, then they would be open the same amount at TDC.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With #1 at TDC on the beginning of the power stroke, on #6 the exhaust valve should be just closing and the intake valve should be just opening. In other words they should be just barely open. It's also what's called "valve overlap".

If you had a camshaft grind that had the same duration and lift on both intake and exhaust, and if the camshaft is installed "straight up", i.e., neither advanced or retarded, then they would be open the same amount at TDC.
THANKS RICK THAT'S WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ray, Rick. I went thru and checked and all seems good to go.Hopefully i will get this thing on a test stand in aweek or two.
Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.