Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are your favorite Car Show/Swap Meet/Cruise Nights/Tri-Five Event? We all know of the large events such as: Pomona, Carlisle, Hershey, in Europe the Power Big Meet, but where is your favorite Tri-Five event? A couple of my summer time favorites: Nostalga Drags held at New England Dragway and a small, maybe 250 to 300 cars hosted by the Kruise Knights in Elliot, Maine. And what makes that Car Show/Swap Meet/Cruise Night/Tri-Five Event Special?

Wedwagon

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Theres a lot nice car shows, but i have to say Donut Derelict in LA.:)

This was the first meeting i ever been to in USA, it was amazing with all these beutiful cars.

Donut Derelict is for those who dont know a non commersial meet.

About Donut Derelicts

Back in 1986 In Sunny Southern California, four buddies who some years before went to high school together, met at a small neighborhood donut shop at the corner of Adams and Magnolia Ave. in Huntington Beach, California. This was the humble beginnings of what was to become "Donut Derelict", the largest and most well-known casual hot rod gathering in the world.

These four friends actually gathered to take their sons dirt bike riding. As time went on, the guys would show up in their hot rods and classic cars.

Over 75 cars were showing up each and every Saturday. Their group began to include such names as Art Chrisman, drag racer from the 60's, Little John Butera, hot rod builder (formerly with Hot Rods by Boyd"), and Chip Foose, builder, artist and designer…the list goes on and on.

Theo other guys in the area began to notice the couple of cars gathering, and as one thing led to another, the small group began to grow…6 cars, then 10, then 15 and so on now there can be almost 300 cars every Saturday between 6 am - 9 am.

Each and every Saturday you can expect to see everything from "backyard rat rods" to "America's most beautiful roadster". Chrysler concept cars and new factory releases are but a few surprises.

http://www.donutderelicts.com/index.php

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Some of my favorite events to attend in the Midwest are not specifically Tri-5 events but ususlly have a very good representation of 5,6,7's.In June,I attend "Back To The 50's" in St.Paul Minnesota....usually around 11K cars.It's held at the state fairgrounds and is an absolute beautifull place to have an event.The GoodGuys "Heartland Nationals" is over the 4th of July Weekend in Des Moines Iowa.Usually around 4K cars with a very good Tri-5 representation....very nice fairgrounds also!Later in July,I'll hit Americruise in Lincoln Nebraska....somewhere around 2K cars and hopefully more this year.Nice fairgrounds and the "Speedway Museum" Ice Cream Social/Museum Tour is worth the trip alone!The GoodGuys "Midwest Nationals" in Kansas City over Labor Day Weekend is another nice event with around 4K cars that's well attended by the Tri-5'rs....It's held at the Speedway and the track cruise is a blast!I also try to make one National type Tri-5 event somewhere each year.I also attend many other "National" events around the country each year but they are mostly open to pre-48 cars. I look forward to reading the replies to this thread as I'm always looking for a new event to attend.:D

·
Registered
382 Posts
down in s.e. mass there are a few good cruises; tue.nites sham rods puts on a cruise at the voke tech school in boure about 300 -400 on a regular nite dash plaque night brings about 500+. every other thur. in easton at the voke tech school brings in about 500+.every friday halifax at the rt. 106 rt.58 *** **** store. all these are very good cruises. i usually don't do to many trophy shows on sundays. middletown ct. had a great downtown cruise in october had at least 1200 cars. i like to drive my 55 all over, :D and not stay in my area(gets boring)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
California is a hot bed for car shows. The biggest show's in my area are of course SEMA in Las Vegas, Nevada, "Hot August Nite's" held in Reno, Nevada and the Sacramento Autorama. Every Wednesday night throughout the summer Sacramento Raceway host's the nostalgia drags and car show. Lots of pro cars and street cars racing for money and bragging rights.

For showing my '55, I prefer the smaller local shows with no more than 400 to 500 cars. There the car owners seem to be more approachable and the spectators are less apt to pick your ride to pieces.

Tom

·
Registered
961 Posts
There's a lot of car shows here in the Pacific nothwest too. One of my favorites is in Everett WA, it's called Cruzin' to Colby. For many years Colby Ave. was the main downtown street in Everett, before everything moved out to the malls. In the 50's through the 70's Colby Ave. was where you went to hang out and show off your car. I spent many many hours in the mid to late 60's "cruzin' the gut" in my first car, a red 55 Chevy 210. Time passed, things changed and law enforcement stepped in declaring Colby a "No Cruzin' Zone"; and sadly, in the early 80's, they shut it down.

A few years back (2003) an idea was hatched and a two day car show was set up where you cruze Colby Ave. on Sunday evening, returning early Monday for a show & shine. It all takes place on Memorial Day weekend. For me (an old Everett kid) it's totally nostalgic; like revisiting a piece of my past. Kind of like being back in high school. This show seems to get bigger every year. I think 600 to 700 cars showed last year. Lot's of cars, lots of people looking at cars. Too Cool!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
"Hot August Nights" is one event I've never attended but would like to,perhaps this year.It is always the same weekend as the "Street Rod Nationals" in Kentucky....That has always been a "must attend" for me but am thinking of something different this year.I have inquired about entry but it seems the event is only open to a very limited # of cars,500 or 1,000 as I recall,and is full this year already and next year also,I believe.It seems people from the previous year have first choice and I'm hearing nearly everyone re-ups so it's hard to get an entry application.I hear every year about the thousands and thousands of cars there so am assuming the majority don't participate?I would love to hear from anyone who has been there....where to stay,where to eat,what to do,etc.Look forward to the replies.........Daryle

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Tuesday nights at the A&W in Greenville, R.I.; Friday nights at Stop&Shop in Cumberland, R.I. put on by R.I. Chevy Owners Assoc.; Saturday nights in Putnam, Conn.. There are plenty around here with out traveling very far.
Dave

·
Premium Member
10,907 Posts
Hot Car Cruises

I'd have to say that Hot August Nights in Reno, Nevada, is the best show that I've attended. It's a week long event and is limited to 5500 registered cars. That doesn't mean that more cars can't come; they just aren't registered participants and aren't permitted to enter some events that are reserved for those registered.

I've attended the HAN show for the past 15 years and I absolutely love it! It does have some negatives, but all large shows do.

Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts