Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to install my temp sender switch in a small block 350ci engine? I'm going to run an electric fan on my 55 Chevy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If the sensor is of the screw in bulb type, then the best location is the intake manifold which tends to mix the return from both heads. Putting the sensor in a cylinder head only picks up heat from one cylinder bank, which while it worked for years, is not the best choice. IF you are using a thermal probe (a wire with a thermistor on the end) then, it can be sandwiched between one of your upper radiator hoses and it's corresponding connection. I haven't seen the probe type for a while and if I were you and I had the probe type I would change it to a bulb type screw in switch that controls a relay to actuate the fan.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If the sensor is of the screw in bulb type, then the best location is the intake manifold which tends to mix the return from both heads. Putting the sensor in a cylinder head only picks up heat from one cylinder bank, which while it worked for years, is not the best choice. IF you are using a thermal probe (a wire with a thermistor on the end) then, it can be sandwiched between one of your upper radiator hoses and it's corresponding connection. I haven't seen the probe type for a while and if I were you and I had the probe type I would change it to a bulb type screw in switch that controls a relay to actuate the fan.

So should I use one of these ports? What will all these be used for? I'm guessing 2 get get used for the heater hoses??

Here is the electric fan temp switch that came with the kit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have my temp sensor in the manifold (intake) on the drivers side. the opposite side is for heater return. the lower on water pump is for heater, other I have blocked off-Good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my temp sensor in the manifold (intake) on the drivers side. the opposite side is for heater return. the lower on water pump is for heater, other I have blocked off-Good luck
Okay so do I have this right?

A= heater return hose
B= electric fan temp switch
C= heater feed hose
D= not used or water temp sensor?
E= factory water temp sensor?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you have it right. Just plug the one in the head.. everything else is correct.
Did the factory water temp sensor go into the pass side head? So should I install the new one in location D?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Did the factory water temp sensor go into the pass side head? So should I install the new one in location D?
Yes, the factory used the hole in the head for the sensor. No do not use the water pump (your "D") it is not a good source for the sensor. Stay with your original plan. Keep the waterpump plugged and the head plugged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts