Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
What about the B/C Sodium Bicarbonate extinguishers? I have one of those in each car.
BC is the most common type recommended or automotive and marine.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Whew! I bought three of them for $19 each and started to get scared about carrying them.
The powder in an ABC fire extinguisher is much more caustic than a BC and the one you definitely need to stay away from for use on a car.

Here's a good description of the different classes of fires:

http://www.femalifesafety.org/types-of-fires.html

Pretty much all car fires are going to start as a Class B or Class C type of fire.

I do think for ultimate protection it would be good to carry 2 fire extinguishers. A BC for under-hood fires and a Halon for interior fires. Halon is the ultimate for fires in enclosed spaces as there is no residue to clean up from it.

That said I only carry a Purple K which is an enhanced BC type and is is about twice as effective on Class B fires as a sodium bicarbonate BC extinguisher.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hi Roger,

I have a 5LB and 2.5LB ‘Halotron 1 ‘ extinguisher - clean agent BC similar to the HalGuard HR3. I bought from Buckeye in NC.

Halotron 1, though not as effective as the discontinued Halon (though still available $$$), replaced Halon and is commonly used for BC fires. It’s in most all server rooms (including ours) and approved by the FAA for runway fires.

We briefly discussed Halotron 1 in another thread — it wasn’t your ‘go to” extinguisher. Why, in your opinion, is it not a decent all-around choice for a typical automotive BC fire?

It’s my intention to visit a local firehouse to discuss this topic. I’m interested in hearing from those that deal with fires for a living. Something I will do in April before testing the wiring in Project56X. As you know, I masterminded my own circuit design rather than buying an off-the-shelf product. But this you know, because I sought your expertise MANY times (THANKS AGAIN!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Halotron is a fine choice for an interior fire just like Halon. Like you say it's not as effective as Halon is so a larger cylinder should be considered. Also remember that with either type it is important not to breath this stuff. It takes the oxygen out of your lungs.

If conditions are windy at all, Halon or Halotron might not do the job with a fire in the engine compartment where a BC type will. But the latter do leave a mess to clean up.
Also, once the gas from a halon or halotron has dissipated, flame flare ups are possible. That doesn't happen with a BC type.

Likewise a halon or halotron would be more effective on an interior fire if the windows are closed.

This is why I said the ultimate would be to carry both types. Go to the halon or halotron first and then have the BC as a backup in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fire Extinguisher Recall !!

Kidde Fire Extinguishers have a big recall going on. I had a total of 7. 6 of them were recalled. The company shipped me new one's. All had had to do was place the recalled in their shipping box's and take them to Fedx. No cost to me. Check their website KIDDE.com or call the phone number listed to check if you have a recalled one. I have 1 in the front seat and 1 behind the drivers seat.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Kidde Fire Extinguishers have a big recall going on. I had a total of 7. 6 of them were recalled. The company shipped me new one's. All had had to do was place the recalled in their shipping box's and take them to Fedx. No cost to me. Check their website KIDDE.com or call the phone number listed to check if you have a recalled one. I have 1 in the front seat and 1 behind the drivers seat.
Yes, they've had some smoke detectors recalled too. I've had the impression that their stuff isn't the best quality. I've always stayed away from brands with the plastic valves too.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Good stuff, Roger. I’ll look at the Purple K - perhaps add it to the mix.

It’s a corrosive powder that requires a QUICK cleanup — do you know if this chemical causes havoc with the motor? Some do, or so I’ve read.

I’ll have to do a little research.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Here's a pretty good cleanup procedure:
http://www.pyrochem.com/pdfs/miscellaneous/PC2008148.pdf

You would think on an under-hood fire where you could flush well with a hose until all the powder was gone, you wouldn't need to do the hot water vinegar mix.
But you can see using any dry powder extinguisher on an interior would be a real chore to clean up.

Btw, I was reading some other stuff and it looks like what I stated about Halotron wasn't correct. It does leave a residue and must be cleaned. Halon does not.
Definitely a huge advantage for Halon on an interior. Probably why it's still the only type used inside an aircraft.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Man-O-Man, I hope I never have to find out what it takes to clean up the mess. The powder will be EVERYWHERE. $15,000+ blower motor covered in CRAP.

Thanks for the PDF — helpful.

I’ll take another look at Halotron, because everything I’ve read stated that it doesn’t leave a residue. Safe for server rooms that must be protected at all cost I just cannot imagine that it leaves a residue.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Looks like there's some conflicting information out there on whether Halotron leaves a residue or not. I'm also seeing info where it's a considered a "clean agent" and does not need cleanup.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
I have my Halon extinguisher mounted on the cargo shelf of my Utility Coupe, right behind the driver's seat where I can easily reach it.

I'm going to change the mount to a spring clamp so I won't have to fumble around with a release lever to get to it. Just reach, grab and go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went high tech.

"Element Fire Extinguisher"

Non toxic smoke

50 second duration

Fights A B C k

Severals mounting options but will just slide under drivers side bench seat.

Never needs re-charging.

Leaves no residue.

I included a pen in the picture for perspective.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went high tech.

"Element Fire Extinguisher"

Non toxic smoke

50 second duration

Fights A B C k

Severals mounting options but will just slide under drivers side bench seat.

Never needs re-charging.

Leaves no residue.

I included a pen in the picture for perspective.
I'm definitely going to order one of these for my 56 and one for each of my cars. I like it as it won't become a missile in case of a wreck!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts