Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any sorces to buy new 14" wheels for my 57. Dont have to be exact repos however I want a 8x14 Bias BF Goodrich tire to fot and also want to use origional hubcaps. I dont want to have to welf the nubs on them. I have purchashed 2 used sets in the past and been bad shape after blasting so I figure Im money and time ahead to just buy new
Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
148 Posts
Shawn- check out Danchuk part #s 12147 and 12148. They are 14 x 5 and 14 x 6, has both Chevy and Ford bolt patterns and are supposed to work with disc brakes. I believe they have the nubs for your full wheel covers.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also check out Classic Industries. They have them for $99.99, and if you wait for one of their frequent sales you can probably get them for 20% off!

·
Premium Member
15,893 Posts
Shawn, Be careful with any repro 57 wheels. I have heard that the valve stem holes are not in the correct location and the full wheel covers don't fit because of that. I have not seen it myself but have had a few people mention it is an issue.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have the Danchuk 14" repro wheels. Got them about 6 or more years ago, the nubs were so far off that Danchuk had to replace all 4 wheels. (cost me a ton for tire remount and wheel repaint!) The new improved wheels were better and work but the nubs are still off a little bit. Also the valve stem hole on repro wheels is not in the correct place for using full wheel covers. It just cannot be made to be in the correct place on the repro wheels because of the unigue shape compared to original 57 wheels. If you study the wheels side by side you will see. After trying every bent and angled valve stem on earth I finally gave up and cut the wheel cover holes into a slot so the stems don't rub. That is easy to do with a Dremel grinder , it works and really doesn't show too much at all. The Danchuk wheels have a ton of runout. .080 to .040 on mine. Originals run at about .015 tops. But that runout does not seem to affect the ride or smoothness or balancing of the tires at least on mine. If I was to do it again, I would get good used OEM original wheels. ( I am running 6" front and 7" rear) Then weld the nubs on in perfect position for easy hubcap mounting and no hubcap rotation. Yes, the full wheel covers can and do rotate and shear off a valve stem, causing instant blowout! Don't ask me how I know this but I can tell you how a 57 Chevy handles at 65mph with a flat tire! OEM is the way to go on 14" wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.